Skip navigation
KatDeskat
Currently Being Moderated

Provide dimensions in layout to programmer

Apr 1, 2011 2:13 AM

Hi,

I created a layout for a website on Indesign.

Every pixel was chosen with care.

Is there any feature that would allow me to indicate the dimensions to the programmer that is taking over the work?

Thanks

Kat

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2011 4:59 AM   in reply to KatDeskat

I think perhaps you misunderstand the purpose for this forum, which is to discussrequest for new features rather than ask about exisiting capapbilities. Those questions should normally be asked in the regualr discussion forum.

In this case, I don't believe there is any sort of automated dimensioning tool (there is a measure tool that will allow you to measure, or you can select objects and get their coordinates in the Transform or Control panels), but if you want that information written down, you'll have to add it yourself to the file. I'd recommend a separate layer for that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to KatDeskat

InDesign is highly scriptable, and it's quite possible to write a script that writes out these "dimensions in pixels" [*] in a frame on top of each object on a new layer. Only thing is, you can't (easily) have the script measure distances between objects -- but positions and width & height of actual rectangles is a piece o' cake. Ask in the Scripting forum, and if possible, give an example of your preferred output, and there is bound to be a kind soul to help you get started.

[*] While we're on the subject. Warning: Strong Personal Opinion follows!

What made you, a web designer, choose InDesign over, say, Dreamweaver (which *is* a web design program), Illustrator (which is not a web design program but targeted more generally to "design"), or Photoshop (which gives direct access to each single one of your valuable pixels)?

InDesign is not a web design program -- by far. You refer to "perfectly placed pixels", but that's a misnomer if there ever was one. InDesign does not handle "pixels" -- all it does is replacing "pt" (for "points") with "px" and round off to whole numbers.

Illustrator does the same, by the way. The only program that *does* work with actual pixels is Photoshop! Surely, as a web designer, you are aware of the relativity of pixel based values?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2011 8:26 AM   in reply to KatDeskat

KatDeskat wrote:

... (several good reasons not to use Illustrator or Dreamweaver) ...

I think I agree on this. Web design is tacked onto Illustrator with spit and sticky tape; and Dreamweaver has quite a bad rep in our firm (our own web designer *has* to use it, and tends to sigh "why did Adobe ever drop Golive").

But ... (warning: here comes the Personal Opinion!)

I hope my description of my use of the program will help for the development of it.

Noooooooo!

Why don't you leave print design software for the print designers, and ask Adobe -- or any of its competitors -- to further develop their designated web design programs!? Even if, as has been said, "Print is Dead", well, it's still another market then web design. Why change a print-based program to web design? Even taking Photoshop as a starting point would have been better.

The most telling sign is that YOU, a web designer, refuse to work with Adobe's WEB DESIGN package because it's too cumbersome and lacks the right feature set.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points