Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Strange behavior in paragraph styles

Apr 1, 2011 10:11 PM

I had the strangest problem with ID CS5. I had stripped the local formatting out of a Word document and placed it in an ID document with all paragraph styles  preconfigured, and everything was going along fine. Then for some reason I don’t remember, five pages at the end of the document got so screwed up I had to delete them. So I found the text I needed in the original Word doc, cut it out and pasted it into a new Word document, closed it, then placed that document at the end of my ID doc. I have a special style for sidebars and for the life of me I could not get ID to apply that style to that portion of the new placed text. Nothing had changed in the ID style, there was no override warning. I could manually change the font in the sidebar to what it was supposed to be, but for some reason the incoming Word style was overriding my ID styles. And here’s another thing: every page of the ID doc had “Jump to next column” text wrap automatically applied. I had to select  all my pages and click “No text wrap.” I don’t recall anything like this with CS3.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2011 2:53 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

I'd check through your character styles. It sounds like your entire block of text is styled with a character style. If that is the case, you would get no override warning and your paragraph styles would seem to have no effect. This could happen in CS3 just as easily.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 1:30 AM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

Clark Kenyon wrote:

I don't see how a new text frame would be formatted with a character stlye that I did not apply.

Make sure nothing is selected. Select a character style. Create a text frame. There you are.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2011 7:53 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

A bit off topic, but you brought it up.

Do you keep your sidebar text in your main Word text file and then flow it to a sidebar frame?

If so, do you keep the sidebar text at the very end of the Word document?

Or do you keep it in the middle of the Word file near where it is to be used in the InDesign layout?

Thanks for your thoughts.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points