Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 slower to open files than CS2

Apr 5, 2011 4:35 AM

File opening and saving takes much longer in CS5 than in CS2, either from bridge, or directly in Photoshop.

My spec:

Windows 7 64 bit professional pc

Intel Xeon W3530 @2.80ghx quad core

12 gb ram

total virtual mem 27.6 gb

Nvidia Quadro FX1800

seperate 50gb internal scratch disk

64 bit Photoshop CS5

Drivers and all Adobe products up to date

I have timed opening 10 5mb files and they all open 40 seconds quicker in CS2 running on an old dual core machine with just 4gb of ram than the machine listed above, which I had custom made by Cryo Performance Computing especially to run Photoshop.Saving is equally slow, and again much faster in CS2. Bridge is very slow too; selecting 1 file and then clicking to select another can take up to 10 seconds to respond, screen occasionally greys out

I have a seperate drive set up as a scratch disk that is solely used for that purpose, Photoshop is on a seperate drive.

Things I have tried:

deleted prefs file

uninstalled and reinstalled

updated all drivers

disconnected all external drives and printers

implemented all performance enhancements as listed by Adobe in the help section

disabled open GL drawing (no effect so now back on)

altered memory usage between 70% and 90%, no effect

Opened files from an explorer window, bridge and from network, no difference

Purged cache, optimized cache, deleted all thumbnails

Reduced history states to 50, cache levels to 2, tile size 1024k

General working on files is fine, opening and saving is the problem. Sometimes a single 5mb file can take over 15 seconds to open; on my old machine with CS2 its open in around 3 seconds. Saving in batching or image processor painfully slow.

Could changing the paging file size and or location help? I have had this problem since getting CS5, so its not something that has developed.

Sorry for the novel, but this is driving me mad as I use photoshop 10 hours a day 6 days a week, and it's just too slow.I really hope someone can help!

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 5, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to toonburner

Do you have UPS backup, and is your system pretty stable?

I ask, because given that you have lots of RAM, you can kick Windows disk caching into a higher gear by disabling write-cache buffer flushing, and allowing the application to blaze ahead while the OS takes care of writing the data to the disk.  This won't speed up the Photoshop data compression process, but it will give you better disk performance overall.

Open up Computer, right-click on your drive, choose Properties, then Hardware, then click on the drive, then hit the [Properties] button, and finally click the Policies tab:

Policies.jpg

Be sure and hit that link and read about the what it does and what additional risk you may be taking.  By the way, I've used this setting for years and not had any problems with disk corruption at all.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 5, 2011 7:39 AM   in reply to toonburner

Notwithstanding what I wrote above, something's wrong with your new system if it's taking 15 seconds to open a 5 MB file.

I just did a test similar to yours - comparing Photoshop CS2 file opening time on a old 2 core system vs. CS5 on a new 8 core system.

In my tests, I opened a 1440 x 2160 pixel .psd file that is 8.9 MB on disk.

• Photoshop CS2 - 3.2 seconds.
    • Photoshop CS5 - 0.4 seconds

My thoughts are that perhaps your OpenGL environment is taking a long time to initialize...  People have reported on this forum what seems like more than the normal number of problems with the Quadro cards.

1.  Do you have the latest nVidia display driver for that card, from the nVidia web site?

2.  Does the timing change at all if you go into Edit - Preferences - Performance and disable OpenGL Drawing?  Make sure and close and restart Photoshop to test this change.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 5, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to toonburner

Unplugging the network will result in an immediate failure at the interface, where an active network but a destination device that's offline can result in long delays while the software awaits timeouts.

Windows 7 definitely handles these things differently than XP did, and you're not the first to report this kind of problem.

Make sure you don't have any printers that are installed but which are currently offline.  Likewise mapped network drives.

Also check your Favorites list for anything pointing to a resource that currently offline.

I've even seen shortcuts dragged from a remote connection to the local desktop invoke strange behavior when the remote system is no longer available.

Might not hurt to double check the list of drives you have told Photoshop it can use for scratch (in the Edit - Preferences - Performance dialog).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2011 10:06 AM   in reply to toonburner

Is Photoshop the only app affected?  I'm guessing not.

There have been a fair number of posts on the Windows Technet forum about people finding Windows 7 networking unexpectedly slow, but that's not what you're seeing, right?

Do you have your username/password on all the systems in your network, and do they all consider you an Administrator?

Do you have any Explorer Shell Extensions (e.g., Tortoise SVN) that try to access the network in the background?

Beyond this I'm kind of out of further ideas.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to toonburner

I did just think of one other thing, but I don't know if it's a problem today with CS5 or not...

Someone reported that under some conditions Photoshop tried to access other drives even though they didn't have them identified as scratch candidates in the preferences.  I think the condition was that the only drive identified was their system drive.

Is there any way this could be an issue with your setup?  Do you have a dedicated local scratch drive?  I know you said you don't have any mapped drives, but do any of your network storage devices install drivers or software to make them more integrated with Windows?  I'm just trying to guess at how something could be looking out on the network somehow and getting a timeout when the network is considered available, but failing immediately when the interface is simply offline.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to toonburner

Further to everything suggested have you looked at the Event Logs? They may provide clues to what processes or events are the issue(s). Have you tried running in safe mode?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:16 AM   in reply to toonburner

Me a newbie to PS and I can help, I think. As an ex-one man IT shop guy I jsut always google the error.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-perform ance/pdihwctl-service-failed-to-start/ed8d5aef-d826-4d9a-8978-6ddb6d93 0c49

So this is saying the driver is not Windows 7 compatible:

\??\C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers\pdihwctl.sys has been blocked from  loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your  software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

Pdihwctl.sys file description

Pdihwctl.sys with  description PdiHwCtl NT kernel-mode driver is a driver file from company  Portrait Displays, Inc. belonging to product PdiHwCtl.

So you need to update the dirver it would appear. Seems the folks that built this system made an error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 6:18 AM   in reply to jdliddil

And also note that Bridge is the app that does not like the fiile (bridge.exe)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 14, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to toonburner

Do you use Bridge to access files?

If not, normally you can configure it to not start at system startup.  That might help.

In my case, I don't use Bridge, but just Photoshop (using Explorer to integrate image file access), and I have blocked many of the components from starting without ill effect.

While I defintely advocate getting to the bottom of the problem - everything really should work - it's also possible you could work around the issue in the short term by not starting some things.  Let me know if that's of interest to you and I'll describe what I did to stop Bridge et. al. from starting.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 7:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm sticking with a video driver problem and possibly the fact the video card is set to overdrive. I know the ATI card I got in my new dell can be over driven and they dialog boxes have all kinds of warnings. Did the folks that built this set the video to overdrive to make the machine faster? Run Spyware detection as well.

Killing bridge is easy enough but again the errors are showing a driver issue.And killing bridge may only transfer the issue to another program that does not like the driver, like another power/graphics hungry app. Just saying.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points