Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

X-Rite i1Profiler has a fatal flaw

Apr 7, 2011 11:57 AM

I have been using ProfilerMaker 5, coupled with an i1Pro  spectrophotometer, for several years. Today I received an email from XRite  announcing the availability of their new i1Publish package, which includes the  i1Profiler software. It seemed like a good deal, $500 to upgrade, and it's  obvious there is no further work being done on ProfileMaker.

I downloaded  the software, usable in a demo mode, and went through the workflow description.  There are some interesting new options for printer profiling, BUT there is no  provision for OBC (optical brightener correction) using an i1Pro, it's only  available if one has an i1Isis chart reader.

Most papers, particularly  glossy/semi-gloss, require OBC since they contain optical brighteners. It makes  no sense for XRite to issue a new profiling software version that doesn't  include this capability for i1Pro (easily the most popular spectrophotometer for  color management), but indeed they have, I even called their support line to  verify. Needless to say I won't be upgrading.

Richard Southworth

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to RASouthworth

Richard, have you based this decision on real world testing and looked at final prints? Or talked to anyone that has done so?

Color management consultants typically have UV and non-UV capabilities. Some situations call for one while others call for the other. I've been using I1Profiler in production for quite a while now and I don't see this as a fatal flaw at all. The results are fantastic. See for yourself!

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Apr 7, 2011 1:15 PM   in reply to Scott Martin

Scott T Martin wrote:

Color management consultants typically have UV and non-UV capabilities.

Exactly. And you can fill a room with such consultants who will praise and curse software OBA compensation rather than doing this when measuring the data.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to RASouthworth

A lot of applications (i1P, MP, SV, ColorBurst, etc) require a UV filter to deal with OBAs, so it's not out of line that i1P would do the same thing. (It's based on Monaco Profiler which didn't have software based OBA correction). If you're working with clients you owe it to yourself to have UV filtered and non UV filtered device and to use something better than PMP (who's quality I've been critical of for years now). I've used Monaco Profiler for 5+ years instead of PMP for it's quality improvements. I travel around with a pair of colorimeters and 3 spectros in a big hard case. Gotta have the right tools for different kinds of jobs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 5:13 PM   in reply to RASouthworth

I get your point Richard. This upgrade might be a bummer to those without a UV filtered device. Fair enough. This is a professional level product however, not a consumer one, and one might conclude that color professionals need both filtered and unfiltered capability. As a color professional with such capability I find it a fantastic new platform that I can use now and look forward to seeing it mature in the future. I think saying there's a fatal flaw is a bit overdoing it. Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 9:51 PM   in reply to RASouthworth

Well, having made profiles for the last dozen years, first on CompassProfile (remember them?) and later with ProfileMaker Pro, I finally gave up on the Optical Brightener Correction and have been using a UV filter on my Spectrolino for most profiles and couldn't be happier. The profiles are better all around and actually have a more neutral gray ramp than the profiles made with the OB correction. That's my personal experience and both my clients and I are extremely satisfied with the results.

As for this new software, it looks interesting, but it appears I'll still have to use the Measure Tool in PM and then import the data, but I don't know that yet for sure. It sure seemed that when X-Rite took over GMB four or five years ago, the goal would be to develop a product that would incorporate the best of both company's flagship products. Oh well. What do you expect for only a four year wait anyway?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2011 6:03 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

The final quality that i1Profiler produces is fantastic. That really needs to be said, and I've been showing that to my clients who are pretty blown away by the quality relative to what they can get elsewhere. There's some great math under the hood in i1P. There's lots more work to be done to make i1P a complete solution, and I'm looking forward to that. I think we'll all a bit impatient - we've been waiting for this product for a long time. But this is, after all, a 1.0 product. OBC will probably come soon. I'm not defending it, but I think it's clearly written for someone like myself, because it gives me the software tools to create fantastic quality results with the professional hardware I already have. I'm sure some people will be bummed out but it's important to keep perspective. In comparison to what we've paid for products like PMP and MP in the past, i1P is super cheap. EyeOnePros have never been more affordable either. Yes, this stuff isn't free, nor perfect but there's really a lot to be happy about.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,387 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Apr 8, 2011 6:24 AM   in reply to p_d_f

Oh sure, I remember CompassProfiler (and even earlier stuff) but that product made very good profiles.

You can use either MeasureTool or ColorPort with your Spectrolino and import CGATs into i1P.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)