Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HSB color picker

Apr 8, 2011 3:30 PM

Does anyone know of a plugin for IND that enables an HSB color picker? I really can't stand the color picker. It gets tiresome having to switch to PS for color picking. I understand how the IND color picker works, but there's no reason why there can't at least be an HSB option, especially for people who are now using IND to design things like ebooks. It's a waste of time. Any plugins that enable fast efficient HSB picking from within IND?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 6, 2011 1:46 AM   in reply to Scooby007

I'm also looking for this. I know that the inDesign colour picker is geared towards print, but for the purposes of web or ebook design I would really like to see an HSB option.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 3:06 AM   in reply to geocresent

If your native system color picker supports HSB, you can try this little Javascript:

rgb = $.colorPicker(-1);
    if (rgb >= 0)
    {
    try {
      c = app.activeDocument.colors.add({space:ColorSpace.RGB, colorValue:[rgb >> 16, (rgb>>8) & 255, rgb & 255], name:"#"+rgb.toString(16)});
    } catch (_) { }
    }

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2011 9:17 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

I'm just getting into inDesign and I don't know how to use javascript with it, but I'll find out and give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Scooby007

I really don't understand why this was omitted. It's in Photoshop and Illustrator, and it's just as likely someone would be using InDesign for online work (even for print, HSB is a much easier way to mix greys and lighten colors). Sometimes Adobe really baffles me.

Also, that javascript doesn't really do what is needed here. May as well tab back and forth to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,120 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Scooby007

especially for people who are now using IND to design things like ebooks.

If you are looking for hex values in-tools has a  Hex swatch plugin. You are still limited to InDesign's 3 color spaces for picking, but it also lets you get Photoshop's forground color if PS is running.

http://in-tools.com/products/scripts/

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Perfect interrim solution! Having to write down those RGB / CMYK values was awful.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points