Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5.5..... ???

Apr 11, 2011 12:04 AM

Adobe marketing is, well, marketing. They do not do a great job of CLEARLY defining the benefits of CS5.5 comparied to CS5. What is needed is a clear, concise list of "This app has this in CS5.5 which was not avaialble in CS5.0"

I see several Indesign features for epub/device profiles.

But is there really anything in Photoshop CS5.5 that warrants a $400 price tag? All I see is a "scripting engine upgrade."

I can only assume 50% of the $400 price tag is due to Acrobat X being included... but for those of us that already own Acrobat X, there is no break??? I'll be calling tomorrow to see what the sales reps say, but I'm curious what others think.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2011 12:16 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Is there a Photoshop CS5.5? The list at this page shows it as Photoshop CS5 Extended:

https://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/web.html

Some apps seem to bring Photoshop functionality to the ipad or whatever …

https://www.adobe.com/products/mobileapps/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 12:44 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I don’t get it fully, either, but it seems to me to be addressed at web- and mobile devices-oriented people.

Photography, graphic design, prepress and image editing don’t seem much affected directly – unless you have been waiting for a Photoshop-redux-app for your ipad.

I have just watched the Adobe Eazel for Photoshop CS5 video and your observation about the scarceness of actual information does not seem wholly unjustified.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 12:45 AM   in reply to [scott w]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 12:52 AM   in reply to MTSTUNER

Thanks, interesting article – especially regarding CS6’s expected delay.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 12:56 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Photoshop 12.1 (Which will come with Creative Suite 5.5 in May) and Photoshop 12.0.4 (a forthcoming free update coming in May for the version of Photoshop which came with Creative Suite 5) are more or less exactly the same except that 12.1 will support a subscription license.

Both contain a number of updates to fix issues and both will work with the Photoshop Touch Apps which were recently announced:

http://www.photoshop.com/products/mobile

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_touch_apps

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 6:42 AM   in reply to [scott w]

That is my opinion as well if you just own Photoshop. If you own the Suite, you'll need to base your upgrade decision on the features added to other products in the box.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 3:41 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Jeffrey, what is making me even more confused is that Adobe sent me an e-mail stating that since I bought Creative Suite 5 software recently, I am eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the equivalent new release.  The item I bought was Photoshop CS5 abt. 3 weeks ago.  Since there is no equivalent CS 5.5 version of it, why offer me a complimentary upgrade?  This is confusing...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2011 7:21 PM   in reply to Howie H

Hi Howie, that was a courtesy to all Adobe CS users. Even though there's essentially no difference between 12.0 and 12.1, it makes sense to treat all CS suite app customers the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 7:05 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

> Even though there's essentially no difference between 12.0 and 12.1

can we assume that bug fixes for 12.0 and 12.1 will be released together and in sync up to 13.0, with the possible exception of any bugs that were introduced in 12.1?

thanks

j

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to [scott w]

If it's all just about getting some ATTENTION then I can't see why not all CS5 owners get a free x.5-upgrade, just to prevent bad publicity.

I bought my upgrade to CS5 on February 22 (just 7 weeks ago) and guess what? No free upgrade for me. Happy customer? You may guess again... Great job marketeers!

The one thing that frustrates me the most is the change in the upgrade cycle, which I've made part of my decission when spending my money on the CS5-upgrade.

Best regards,

Maik - twitter.com/maikr

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 2:12 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Lets all have a race to the bottom.  Adobe needs to recoupe its investment in fixing its bugs.  Glad to see we are going to pay for bug patches now, but then again, I have never purchased any Adobe products and never plan on doing so.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 11:43 PM   in reply to [scott w]

From my point of view Customer Service is just Policy Service... even more dissapointing.

http://foundationphp.com/blog/2011/04/11/dreamweaver-cs5-5more-than-a- point-release/comment-page-1

Best regards,

Maik

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points