Skip navigation
msalome
Currently Being Moderated

Error when adding audio to stage

Apr 12, 2011 10:22 AM

Hi there,

When creating a new presentation with Flash CS5 on Windows 7, I am able to add audio to the library, but get a virtual memory error when I try to then add the audio to the stage. The error says: "There is not enough memory to complete the operation. To increase available memory, close open documents or quit and increase virtual memory to allow more memory for Flash."

This happens even when I am running no other programs. I have 145 GB of free space, 4.00 GB of RAM. Initial size of virtual memory is 6141, and maximum is 7000. I have an AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor, and a 64-bit OS. Other applications run fine, and I was always able to perform this step (drag audio to stage from library) with CS4 on XP. I got a new computer at the same time as CS5 and since then have been unable to use Flash.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to msalome

Hi Mary,

Thank you for the thorough explanation!

Please email your sample .fla file to us at FlashAuthBetaBugs@adobe.com.

Please also include the exact steps necessary to reproduce the problem.Our email filter does not allow .zip files; therefore, make sure to  change your attachment extension to .zzz if you are sending in .zip  format.

By the way, did you install the CS5  Updater? If you're not sure, please check the version number listed in  our About Box. The about box is located in Flash's Help menu under About  Adobe Flash Professional CS5. In the first line you will see a string  of number that starts with 11.

Thanks,

Sandy

Flash QE

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to msalome

Hi Mary,

Actually, i don't think i need it on it right now.

I just talked to developer about your problem. It is not a bug -- the memory limit was set to provide adequate performance. Most usrs don't need to increase memory allocation. It appears that you do need it. So please follow the instructions on the dialog and increase JVM memory.

Please tell me if this worked for you or if you need furhter help

Sandy

QE

Flash Authoring

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2011 4:26 PM   in reply to msalome

Hi Mary,

I forwarded all your information to the developer, I will let you know as soon as I hear from him.

Sandy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 3:18 PM   in reply to msalome

Great!

Here is what I get from the dev.

This messages comes up when flash tries to allocate memory and fails. It could be in this case that the large wav file is simply too large for flash to deal with. By my very rough estimation, a 541 wav file is getting to be close to an hour long. I would try converting it to another format, like mp3, before importing it into flash, or chopping it into several shorter wav files

Sandy

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to msalome

Hi! I'm running into the same error. It would be tremendously helpful to hear how you increased your virtual memory. I know this is an old thread so any help would be awesome!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to pepijn_sf99

Hi Pepjin,

This was so long ago that I don't remember what I did to increase my virtual memory. I'm on a different computer now, and can't check my settings. I do know that I stopped trying to use Flash for long slideshows (I wasn't doing any animation, anyway) and never looked back.

Mary

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to marysalome

Hi Mary, thanks for the speedy reply! I know it was a while ago but thought i might as well try.

I'm glad you found a way around it by using something else.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points