Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Banner Ads - ClickTags in Indesign CS5

Apr 13, 2011 9:45 AM

Hello,

Newbie here - and I started using Indesign Animations to create a banner ad for a website we are advertising on. I have all the animations working as I want (through some online tutorials).

My first question - and main question - is how do I insert information to track the number of clicks. I have zero experience in Flash or HTML. The company sent me this message

"The new ad is clickable and tracks the number of impressions, however it doesn’t track the number of clicks in our system.  This usually means there’s something wrong in the coding"

I'm not sure how to fix this issue.

They sent a suggestion on how to do this (see bottom of message), but it is for flash. Is this possible in InDesign?

Second Issue: My file size is also wayyyyy to large (I click export to SWF), they only accept 50kb mine is 634kb.

Thanks in advance for your help!

In your Flash movie, you want to add a layer over everything and put a button in the layer. This button usually covers the entire canvas, and then you'll want to edit the button to remove the first three frames (off, hover, click) and leave the last (hit area) to make the button transparent. It will appear as a bright blue box now in your movie. In the property inspector, you'll want to name the button something like "myButton".

Then add another layer for your action. In the actions window, put this code:

myButton.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN, mouseDownHandler);
function mouseDownHandler(event:MouseEvent):void {
navigateToURL(new URLRequest("http://www.YOURURL.com/"), "_blank");
}

If you named your button something other than "myButton" you'll have to change the code above to reflect the proper name.

You also have to replace "YOURURL" with whatever your url is. The parameter "_blank" means that it will open in a new window when someone clicks on it.

Google around for "Flash Actionscript 3 navigateToURL" and some tutorial should show up. Here's one I found that is done even without a button.

http://scriptplayground.com/tutorials/as/getURL-in-Actionscript-3/

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to angiesimo17

ID's swf export was never really intended for making web banners and is not really suited to it for the reasons you are seeing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points