Skip navigation
Stormcloud492
Currently Being Moderated

Placed PDF crashing InDesign (CS4)?

Apr 14, 2011 7:59 AM

I extracted and cropped a photo from a pdf and saved to a new pdf file. Then I placed it in my Indesign layout. Since then, several things keep happening -- the progress wheel starts spinning (forever) so I have to force quit, part of my toolbar disappears, or a dialog box appears notifying me that it has crashed.

These things happen when I try to resize the photo, or when I try to change the layer order, or for no apparent reason at all!

Is there any conflict with PDFs I should know about? Or any restrictions on use? Wouldn't just telling me be easier if there is? I don't know the original provenance of the PDF.

Should I save the PDF first in Photoshop?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to Stormcloud492

I would either place the original PDF and crop that, or extract the image and save as .tif or .psd and place that. No need to make a new PDF for a single image.

You can usually get the creator information for a PDF from the the Document properties. It should show up on the description screen, or click the additional metadata button and try the advanced screen there. It should be availble unless user data was removed for optimization. One posibility that comes to mind for the spinning beachball would be that the file used OPI and ID can't find the right file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

I'm always suspicious of Quark generated PDFs. OPI  stands for Open Press Interchange and is an antiquated workflow where a low resolution placeholder image is used during layout, and a comment is added and the sytem goes out and grabs the high-resolution version during processing. This doesn't work with PDF, and it's turned ON by default in Quark (or was up to version 6 when I stopped upgrading) and may users have no idea that it is on or even exists. The usual symptom is that images disappear when you make a new PDF from a doc in which you've place the original Quark PDF.

When you say you opened it in Photoshop, selcted only the photo and saved as a Photoshop file do you mean you opened the PDF (rasterizing to an appropriate resolution value) and cropped, then saved as .psd? I would think that would fix things.

At this point, there might be some minor problem in the file and an export to .inx or .idml might be in order. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2011 2:26 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

Forum has been down, but we're back..

In Acrobat Pro you can run Preflight and use the single checks in the image sectionto see if there are OPI comments included. I don't see a fixup, however, to remove them (other programs, such as Pitstoip Pro can do that, I think, if the supplier of the PDF can't make you one without comments):

FindOPI.png

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2011 2:52 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492
    Your suggestion to import the pdf into Photoshop, then rasterize it and crop it, didn't work (maybe it would in a different version?). The only option to import using the "Import" menu option only works for PICT resources.

Nah, you just need to do it slightly differently. Indeed, just "Open" the PDF.

When you "open" the PDF from Photoshop (CS4), an "Import PDF" window appears and gives you the option of selecting the portion(s) of the PDF you wish to import. I selected only the photo and it brought the image into Photoshop (no cropping was required)

At this point you're all set. Save the file in Photoshop (use a different name!). Once the Photoshop has opened a file it is implicitly rasterized. Photoshop has no other way to deal with PDFs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 3:23 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

What John said. When you open the PDF, Photoshop is going to throw up an options dialog asking you for color mode and resolution. Choose according to what's in the PDF. No advantage to picking a higher res than was saved with the images, but nothing to be gained and potentially a lot to be lost by choosing too low.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 5:04 AM   in reply to Stormcloud492

Missing toolbar options or menu items could be as simple as using the wrong workspace. Did you see a "show all menu items" item in the menus?

I don't really know what to advise at this point. Problems in multiple programs is more likely system related than something wrong with only one application, though the root cause could be corrupting the applications so that they need to be reinstalled. I surmise from your previous post where you mnetion "get info" that you are running a Mac. Which version?

Do you have any font utilities you can use to check for font corruption or other problems? Have you run the typical Mac troubleshooting stuff? Cleared caches, etc?

It's possible a new file would work better, but it might not.... If it isn't a lot of work, try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2011 3:54 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

Sounds like the user account may still be corrupt. Replacing prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) usually fixes problems you are describing with panels, so give thatat a try before doing anythnig more drastic. If that doesn't solve it, we need to wait for one of the Mac people to tell you what else to delete to fix a corrupt account.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2011 4:19 PM   in reply to Stormcloud492

If you'd checked the link I gave inthe last post, you'd have seen exactly that suggestion, along with directions for backing up the preferences and manually removing them instead, on the off-chance it turns out not to be helpful and you want to get back all the things you've customized. Worth a read even now so you can learn what files it's handy to keep as a backup for the future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points