Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What is the easiest way to remove the background from an image?

Apr 16, 2011 8:57 AM

I have an image of our old club logo that I would like to remove the background in order to just have an image file of the logo

itself.  What is the easiest way in Photoshop Elements 9 to do this please?

Thanks in advanced

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to tonymuffin

Many ways to remove the background, some easy, some tricky. Just depends on the particular case. You might want to post another message and upload your image so we can offer suggestions. Click on the camera icon to upload.

Other considerations..

Do you want a new color background rather than white?

Do you intend to place the logon on a Web page?  If so, you might want the background to be transparent.

Both are easy to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 1:14 PM   in reply to tonymuffin

I agree with Mark. But it really depends on what you are working with, I personally use when I'm working with a logo the magic wand depending of the difficulty of the task, but then again that is my personal preference.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 6:44 PM   in reply to tonymuffin

Assuming the logo has hard edges, try using the quick selection tool.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshopelements/using/WS594384B5-E15C-42 ee-9EFC-704E01142183_WIN.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2011 8:16 PM   in reply to tonymuffin

If you want to respond to a specific post in a thread and are on the Adobe website forum, click the reply button on bottom of the poster's post box. I don't  know how to post here if you are using a newsreader.

postbuttons.JPG

If you want to send someone a private e-mail, you click on their avatar which will bring up a screen showing their stuff like their recent post activity. On the right hand side, there's a  panel in which you will see an envelope that says send private message under the heading actions. Click that and fill it out if you want to send that person a private message. It's best to post most things in the forum as it is helpful to the community. Most people have similar questions and some would rather quietly lurk than ask.

I don't know how the answered and helpful answer stuff works...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 1:04 AM   in reply to Terri_F

I use the magic wand tool if the front and background colors are quite apart

If they are very simular then I do it by hand

have used the bucket tool in the past but prefere the magic wand

Or use the magnetic lasso tool but it a pain in the ***

Terri that link you posted for quick selection tool is for a different photoshop verson then mine

I dont seam to have that tool

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 3:08 AM   in reply to batista230

Hi,

The quick selection tool is in Photoshop Elements 6 and newer. The quick selection tool IMO is more accurate than the magic wand.

This is going to sound weird but a tip for using the magic wand is to try different eye dropper sample sizes to help dial in the magic wand. It an undocumented fact that the eye dropper sample size impacts the behavior of the magic wand tool.

When using the magnetic lasso, it can be beneficial to bump the image's contrast using an adjustment layer...like levels or brightness/contrast...to help the tool find the edges more easily.  After the selection is made, you can turn off  the visibility or trash the adjustment layer that you used to bump up the contrast.

Often, it's helpful to use a couple of tools on a selection...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 6:09 AM   in reply to tonymuffin

As you can see from the responses there are many ways. Again, I suggest you upload your example via the Insert Image (camera) icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 6:13 AM   in reply to Terri_F

Terri_F wrote:

This is going to sound weird but a tip for using the magic wand is to try different eye dropper sample sizes to help dial in the magic wand. It an undocumented fact that the eye dropper sample size impacts the behavior of the magic wand tool.

Terri,

I never knew that. So what is the impact?  Does a Point Sample or Average give a better selection?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 11:27 AM   in reply to Terri_F

I have been adjusting the tolerance setting in order to "dial in" the tool. Does the eyedropper's sample size configuration complement the tolerance parameter?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to Mark Sand

From what I've read on the subject, the sweet spot seems to be either 3x3 or 5x5 average. According to Julieanne Kost's blog, the tools affected by the eyedropper's sample setting are the magic wand, magic eraser, and background eraser.

"The eyedropper’s “Sample Size”, set in the options bar, affects the Magic Wand, Magic Eraser and the Background Eraser."

Reference...

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2009/03/the_eyedropper.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to hatstead

Yes.

See this article with an example to illustrate the relationship.

http://www.lunacore.com/blog/?p=138

There's a better article around but I haven't dug it up yet. If I find it, I'll post you a link to the article.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to Terri_F

Thank you, Terri F.

Both references deal with Photoshop; perhaps the engine is the same for Elements.

The Lunacore link is intersting. They set the the tolerance to zero. In other words, eyedropper settings  and tolerance are not independent variables.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2011 4:46 PM   in reply to hatstead

From what I understand, Elements is built on the same engine as Photoshop. Look at it this way, if Photoshop Elements wasn't built on the Photoshop engine you wouldn't be able to use actions and shortcuts to access Photoshop dialogs and commands. Things like Grant's Tools just wouldn't work if the Photoshop code wasn't there.

Here's one quote:

"Note that the magic wand uses the sample size setting currently selected on the eyedropper tool’s options bar."   from Jay Arraich's Photoshop Elements Tips - Eyedropper

http://garymgordon.com/misc/tutorials/photoshop_tutorial/elements/ref/ tool_magic_wand.htm

If you use Google,  using Photoshop elements eye dropper magic wand  in the search box you'll find...

This is mentioned in Photoshop Elements 7: The Missing Manual...p.212 listed as a Tip

and Photoshop Elements 3 for Dummies...p 166 listed as a Tip

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points