Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Ability to sort by image similarity.

Apr 18, 2011 3:40 AM

Ability to sort by actual image similarity.  This is the only way I can think of to identify duplicates in the catalog.  I know I have perhaps 5,000 dupplicate RAW images in my catalog and I can think of no other way to find them (so I can delete them and free up the space).  This could also be very handy for picking similar subject matter for a client.   This sounds like it would be very slow, but there is math for greatly speeding up the identification of similar images.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2011 3:54 AM   in reply to George in Seattle

I know you are requesting functionality in Lightroom proper. But in the mean time, there are a multitude of utilities that can do this job now.

This would at least allow you to find and delete duplicates - that's what I did before importing my collection into Lightroom.

Although finding 5000 of them is still gonna take some time...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 12:46 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

I don't mean to throw water on your FR - it might be worthwhile, as you said - for other purposes besides just finding dups.

But in the mean time, there are several utilities capable of assessing similarity, not just exact dups. I don't know about raw dups. But you could export all your raws you then run the dup checker on your exports.

But, raw dups will have the exact same file contents, unless you use DNG. If you do use DNG, the software would have to be smart enough to exclude xmp when doing the comparison (I dont know whether any exists like that) (assuming neither present filename nor original filename would match). If you want to find raws that are "similar" to other raws, then it gets trickier...

PS - I would definitely invent a workflow that imports no more dups in Lightroom, so once solved, it stays solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 7:50 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

You've got my vote for this as a feature, but I guess a definition of 'similarity' would be needed to implement.  One way would be to allow sorting by some user-defined combination of metadata fields, but I don't know if this is what you had in mind.  Anyhow, if this did come to be, it'd be nice to also be able to filter and see only 'similar' images.

Short of a new feature, I've found that working with 'All Photographs', sorting by capture time, and visually scanning for duplicates works pretty well if the dups may have different names.  Otherwise sorting by filename works.  You can use metadata filters at the top to keep the number of images you review at one time reasonable.  Obviously, the smaller your catalog, the more manageable this is.

There are a couple of plug-ins that may be helpful.  The "Duplicate Finder" plug-in will let you select from some metadata options and then run through the entire catalog, putting identified duplicates in a Smart Collection for you to review.  My personal experience with a previous version was that this took a very long time and failed to finish on a really large catalog (60k+).

If you've got a lot of files to compare, LR/Transporter can be useful.  It lets you create a text file report on selected images containing whatever metadata fields you specifiy.  I found it helpful in some cases to output the filenames, capture time, edit time, etc.  If you are able to work with this data in Excel, Access, or some other database, you can whittle down your list of potential duplicates this way.  You then use LR/Transporter to import a list of images you want to flag, and you can then filter on that flag.

Tedious no matter how you do it.

Paul Wasserman

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 4:39 AM   in reply to George in Seattle

Add my vote we could also imagine with this technology,  to find images according to a user sketch. User would just need to roughly draws what he is looking for. This technology is already implemented in an open source software : digikam. These functionalyties were themselves copied from another open source software that i used to use to find similar images and to find images according to a sketch. It worked quite well and i miss it in. Lightroom. Regards Eric

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 9:45 AM   in reply to Babar_e

I'd love something like

"Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder" (Bing it)

with same functionalities.

Seems there's a trial version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 2:24 PM   in reply to SimDC-LvDqSs

This would be nice, but hard to imagine it reaching a top priority anytime soon, given the long list of things ahead of it. Is there a way to implement it via plugin,  extension module, or external application interface?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 3:04 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I suppose we could make a plugin

here is a link to the functionality in digikam and to the original software (imgseek)

http://www.digikam.org/drupal/node/321

http://www.imgseek.net/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points