Expand my Community achievements bar.

Flattened PDF Form and Barcode not displaying

Former Community Member

I see there are a lot of discussions that are not answered in this forum, so I am guessing this will go unanswered as well.  But I am looking for a solution for the issue in the subject. I have a simple PDF form built in LiveCycle that I am populating with Coldfusion. Once the form is populated I then flatten the form. The barcode appears up to the flattening point which is when it disappears. The characters that populated the barcode field ARE displaying but the image is not.

Is there a solution?

10 Replies

Former Community Member

If the barcode value does not change once the form is rendered, then the barcode should not disappear. However, if there is code in the "calculate" event or any event following the initial render of the form then the barcode will disappear if you have not properly Reader Extended the form.

You can experiment with this using Acrobat. Open your form in Acrobat instead of the free Adobe Reader and see if you get the same results. If it works in Acrobat but not in Reader then it's a calculate / licensing problem.

Former Community Member

Thank you for the reponse. I will look into the event calculations and post back my findings.

Former Community Member

Well, after checking to make sure the script events were empty, I tested the form in Acrobat (on my PC) and Reader (from a co-worker's PC) and the barcode showed up in both programs. But when the forms are flattened the barcode does not show up in either program.

Ive got a few other things to try, but I will let you know if I come across a solution.

Former Community Member

How are you flattening the forms?  I'm assuming PDFg or Output?

Also, be sure your barcode looks something like this:

<field name="PDF417BarCode1" y="50.8mm" w="66.7mm" h="25.4mm" access="readOnly">

<

ui>

<

barcode type="pdf417" dataLength="10" moduleWidth="0.0133in" moduleHeight="0.02661in" errorCorrectionLevel="5"/>

</

ui>

<

value>

<

text>1234567890</text>

</

value>

</

field>

and not...

<field name="PaperFormsBarcode1" w="82.55mm" h="44.45mm" access="readOnly">

<

ui>

<

barcode type="pdf417" moduleWidth="0.338mm" moduleHeight="0.676mm" errorCorrectionLevel="5">

<?templateDesigner decodeMethod 2?>

<?templateDesigner delimiter '\t'?></barcode>

</

ui>

<

calculate>

<

script contentType="application/x-javascript">

...completely void of script and the value in only the <text> element.

Former Community Member

Thanks again! I'm using Coldfusion's CFPDF tag to perform the

flattening of the PDF.

Former Community Member

Here's what I have, looks okay, no <script>...

<

field access="readOnly" h="6.35mm" name="bar_code_1" w="66.675mm" x="133.35mm" y="9.525mm">

<

ui>

<

barcode checksum="auto" dataLength="13" textLocation="none" type="code128" wideNarrowRatio="fixed"/>

</

ui>

<

font typeface="Courier New"/>

<

value>

<

text>AAA7777777777</text>

</

value>

</

field>

Level 1

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem (disappearing barcodes replaced by the values they are supposed to encode). But i'm not sure whether the form flattening is the problem in my case. Just wondering.

Thanks,

Bruce

Level 1

Hi Bruce, there are a number of reasons why a barcode would gray out or disappear. It's either not propery extended by Reader Extensions, or the capacity of the barcode itself has been overrun. What kind of barcode are you trying to fill?

Employee

If the form is an interactive Dynamic Form (derived from an .XDP) you built using LiveCycle Designer, the only supported way of "flattening" it (making it nonInteractive with no form fields) is via LiveCycle Output (8.1.2+). Do you have this product module?

LiveCycle Barcoded Forms can only accept two types of input for scanning: An Image file, such as TIFF (greyscale @ 300 DPI provides best scan results) for example, and a flat PDF (no form fields).

In order to see the barcode in Adobe Reader, assuming it is a 2D Barcode, such as PDF417, you would need Adobe 2D barcode Reader Extension Rights enabled for the PDF.

Level 1

In my case the barcode are not be displayed only when i certify (ADS) my PDF. For ADS fillable = 'X' it's obligatory.