Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to set a checkbox nonprintable?

Level 2

Hi there.  I add fields in a pdf to create a fillable form and two checkboxes for selection of certain actions.  As I don't want to have the two checkboxes printable, I have set the checkboxes to visible (Screen only) but still, when I print the form, the two checkboxes are still printable.  Any advice, please.

9 Replies

Level 7

I have tried to replicate your problem and cannot--my checkboxes don't print.

If you add this script

this.relevant = "-print";

to the prePrint event for the checkbox, do you still have the problem?

Good luck!

Stephen

Level 2

Hi there.  Thanks a lot for your reply.  Unfortunately, the two checkboxes are still printed even I've added the script.

topmostSubform.Page3.CheckBox1[5]::prePrint - (JavaScript, client)

this.relevant = "-print"; 

The checkboxes have been preset to "visible (Screen Only) but the problem still persists.  Did I miss something?  Thanks.

checkbox.jpg

Level 7

I think you may have a problem with your "Target Version". I can replicate your problem when I set it to "7.0.5 or later" . You will need to set it to at least 8 or later.

File>Form Properties>Defaults

I think that must be the problem.

Good luck!

Stephen

Level 2

Hi there.  I've set the version even to 8.1 and later and the checkboxes are still printable.  It really baffled me.  Thanks.

Level 7

I would recommend trying the setting at 9.1 or above. What application and version are you using to view and print? Have you tried viewing and printing it with Reader X?

Level 2

Hi there.  I've reset the version to the highest 9.1 and later and user acrobat reader X and the two checkboxes are still printable.  I also removed the checkboxes and insert two other checkboxes with the same setting but the problem still persists!  Weird enough!

Level 7

If you make a brand new form with just the check boxes on it are they still visible when printed?

Level 4

I have had this happen on so many of my forms. I think it is a bug. As Radzmar suggested in my thread that I had going about it, the only way to fix it is to copy and paste all items into a new blank form. Something must just get corrupted somehow.

Jo

Level 7

Before I would do that, I would look at the XML Source tab for the check boxes and carefully examine the properties. Make sure your captions don't contain <exData contentType="text/html">  elements.. And, I would review any scripts that affect the appearance and/or instances of the check boxes.

Good luck!

Stephen