Skip navigation
s_mccoy
Currently Being Moderated

flash player not working in IE7

Nov 14, 2006 9:09 AM

I'm not sure why this is happening but recently the flash player stopped woring with some instances of flash content but not others. For instance, I can't view the flash content on the Adobe.com home page but if I go to the Adobe Studio home page the flash content works just fine. I have no idea what's causing this problem or where to begin fixing it. I can't even view teh Flash Player advanced settings because they require flash. Anyone else having trouble like this with IE7?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 14, 2006 10:21 AM   in reply to s_mccoy
    I have noticed the same thing. IE6 displays just fine but IE7 does not. By Reviewing SWF pages within the same web site some display properly and others indicate there is a error when viewing in IE7. Any help would be appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2006 11:14 AM   in reply to s_mccoy
    Upgrading to IE 7 seems to sometimes be somewhat problematic. I just went through it and could not see any Flash stuff from some sites, yet I had Flash Player 9 installed. Here is what worked for me:

Uninstall Flash Player from this link (do not use the Windows Uninstall features)

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157

Then go back to the Adobe home page and install Flash Player.

It looks like the Adobe home page and the Adobe Studio 8 pages may use different Flash Player detection schemes. It's interesting that one page finds FP with IE7 and the other does not!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2006 5:35 PM   in reply to s_mccoy
    After reading this thread and still using IE6 - i upgraded to IE7 and it installed without a hitch -
    tested several flash sites and they all worked fine - it has to be something system-specific -
    maybe a popup blocker of some kind?

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
    --> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com

s_mccoy wrote:
    > I'm not sure why this is happening but recently the flash player stopped woring
    > with some instances of flash content but not others. For instance, I can't
    > view the flash content on the Adobe.com home page but if I go to the Adobe
    > Studio home page the flash content works just fine. I have no idea what's
    > causing this problem or where to begin fixing it. I can't even view teh Flash
    > Player advanced settings because they require flash. Anyone else having
    > trouble like this with IE7?
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2006 12:31 PM   in reply to s_mccoy
    Chris,

I agree that system configurations and installed software differences are likely culprits. Last week I upgraded my laptop from IE6 to IE7, shutting down all apps and disabling virus and spyware stuff. No problems seeing Flash player stuff.

However, Monday morning I got a pop-up message on my desktop from Microsoft that an important upgrade was waiting... click here to install upgrade. Not knowing why the "auto update" feature didn't kick in, I did the sheep thing and just followed instructions - "click to upgrade". I had several programs open on my desktop (PhotoShop, Flash 8, MS Office, 3 browsers, etc), along with my "High" security level of virus suite protection. Then I discovered I was upgrading to IE7 - not what I wanted to do just then, but oh well.

When the upgrade was completed, I discovered some sites did not display Flash content! Now, I have no idea which of the 95 processes shown in the Task Manager could have been responsible, but I doubt that it was Flash Player 9.

I think my system and Registry stuff is pretty clean, at least better than the average PC user. Yet, I had a problem. Interference caused by something, and all without any warning messages, etc.

I will never know the cause of this problem, only that an uninstall and re-install from Adobe and all was well.

Now I remember why I hate computers!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points