• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create a PDF form to allow users to upload an image in Adobe Reader?

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres my MAC workflow.

CS4 Indesign > Acrobat Pro 9 >

Forms > Add Edit Form Fields

then I create a button. (where I want the image placed)

Options > Icon Only, Push

Action > Run Javascript

event.target.buttonImportIcon();

Extend features for Reader.

But no joy.

The image will upload in Pro

But I get an Error in reader

NotAllowedError: Security Settings prevent access to this property.

Really, it seem like an image upload would be such a standard requirement?

anyway how can I make this happen?

or if I am fighting a losing battle, tell me to quit wasting my time.

Small company, an enterprising solution is not in the budget.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

You're fighting a losing battle, at least if you want to use a button for this. It is silly that they restrict Reader this way, and I always urge folks to submit a feature request in the hope that it may get restored in the future. You used to be able to do this with Reader, but they took it away. You can add to my feature request I made (again) last year: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/743823

The best you can do with Reader now is to Reader-enable the form. This will allow the user to be able to

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're fighting a losing battle, at least if you want to use a button for this. It is silly that they restrict Reader this way, and I always urge folks to submit a feature request in the hope that it may get restored in the future. You used to be able to do this with Reader, but they took it away. You can add to my feature request I made (again) last year: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/743823

The best you can do with Reader now is to Reader-enable the form. This will allow the user to be able to paste an image that they somehow manage to get copied to the clipboard onto a page in the form of a stamp. You just have to instruct them how to copy an image to the clipboard. They are allowed to resize, move, and rotate, which is less than ideal.

The other option is to attach a file as a comment, though the image is not then visible on screen, but at least it gets included in the document and is easily accessible to the recipient.

The final option is to create the form using LiveCycle Designer, which is available with the Windows version of Acrobat Pro but not the Mac. It has an image field that allows the user to select an image, much as with a button in Acrobat. The fact that you can do it with an XFA form but not an AcroForm makes this restriction even sillier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

George, Thank you so much for providing all the available options. I was not aware that you could copy and paste. So that is much appreciated. I did add to your feature request! Because it truly is essential. Again thank you! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines