Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The instruction at 0x7788869b referenced memory at 0x00000050. The memory could not be read

Apr 29, 2011 12:47 PM

When I try to use the vanishing point tool in photoshop cs4, I get all the way through the process of the vanishing point and when I click ok to apply photoshop crashes and I get the following error message.

The instruction at 0x7788869b referenced memory at 0x00000050. The memory could not be read

I have tried updating my NVIDIA vid card drivers but this didn't help...can anybody help me with this?

M.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 30, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to Nick Wiebe

Have you updated Photoshop to 11.0.2?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am experiencing the same problem with every CS4 PhotoShop tool I use -- HELP! PhotoShop has become completely unusable.

different instructions--same result [5th through 8th digit changes in error message]

the instruction at "0x20322c9b referenced memory at "0x00000028". The memory could not be "read".

the instruction at "0x206f2c9b referenced memory at "0x00000028". The memory could not be "read".

the instruction at "0x207e2c9b referenced memory at "0x00000028". The memory could not be "read".

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2011 1:47 PM   in reply to aswanartist

Pretty much standard advice applies...

Things to try:

1. Try disabling OpenGL drawing (closing and reopening Photoshop afterward to test), and update your video drivers from the web site of the maker of your video card.

2. Reset Photoshop preferences to defaults by pressing and holding Control-Shift-Alt immediately after starting Photoshop, then confirming the deletion.

3. Ferret out any non-standard fonts that may be corrupted or incompatible Photoshop.

4. Check your system for malware.

5. Check your Windows system integrity (e.g., SFC /VERIFYONLY and SFC /SCANNOW commands).

6. Reinstall Photoshop and make sure it's up to the latest patch level.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to Nick Wiebe

When one encounters Memory Address issues, it is often related to a program/process that is not accurately reporting its memory address use, or is telling the OS that it has released addresses, when they have not been released.

The first troubleshooting task that I would undertake would be to pour over Event Viewer, looking for error, or warning messages at that time. Then, I would follow every link offered, to see if I could track down what was causing the memory address issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 7:48 PM   in reply to Nick Wiebe

Thank you Noel and Bill -- a little bit from all the advice is helping.

One thing --  I am not sure what OpenGL drawing is or where to find it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 13, 2011 7:53 PM   in reply to aswanartist

Edit - Preferences - Performance, uncheck [ ] Enable OpenGL Drawing, then close and restart Photoshop to test.

If this works around the problem you'll want to check for and install updated video drivers on the web site of the maker of your video card, then re-enable the above setting.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points