Skip navigation
Der Grashüpfer
Currently Being Moderated

Internet Explorer has stopped working (2nd attempt to fix this)

May 2, 2011 6:55 AM

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded to Adobe Flash Player v-10.2.159, I get the error "Internet Explorer has stopped working" when I close a tab.  It doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I have multiple tabs open.  And it only happens when I have Adobe Flash Player add-on enabled.  I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and IE8.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2011 11:27 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, Is it any particular website you happen to be on when this happens? The Adobe Flash Player addon that you refer to, is this the Shockwave Flash Object? This is the ActiveX Control for Flash Player and must be Enabled if you wish to view Flash content.

I would try having fewer windows open and see it that continues. If that doesn't help, then there may be some other addon in the browser that is conflicting either with the SFO or another addon.

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  sp

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 3:50 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, thanks. I don't know if you have a 32bit or 64bit system, so check in the location that is appropriate.

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back the files listed OR

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash 

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2011 7:57 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Can you try if the same thing happens when you start Internet Explorer in Safe Mode (browser safe mode, not Windows safe mode)?

In your Programs list, there may be an option to start Internet Explorer (No Add-ons); otherwise Start | Run | iexplore -extoff

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 11:03 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, Your Flash files are all correctly Installed. Make sure the Shockwave Flash Object is version 10.2.159.1 also.

If it is, then something else is going on. First I would like you to test at this site and let me know if you can see the Flash Player logo (Red F) animation(spinning) and just make sure the Version of Flash Player Installed says 10.2.159.1.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Then using IE, go to Tools, Internet Options and make sure under the Security Tab it is set to Medium for the Internet Zone.

Then when you reply back, list any Anti-Virus/Spyware programs that are Installed.

Have you had any Malware Issues? If so please explain.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, The fact that you can see the Flash Player logo animation and your Security is set for Medium for the Internet Zone, should have Flash Player working properly.

I'm not sure if the Virus would have an effect now due to the above. That would normally prevent you from Installing that Shockwave Flash Object.

What it could be is that some component of BitDefender is conflicting. Some of BitDefender has been or is known to conflict with Firefox. Not sure about IE.

This is a thread on issues with FF  and BitDefender: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601019?tstart=0

What version of BitDefender do you have Installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2011 10:55 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Der Grashüpfer wrote:

It doesn't even happen if I disable ONLY Shockwave Flash Object, I'm sure it won't happen if I disable ALL add-ons.

The point of my suggestion was to see if FP conflicts with any other add-ons.

But now I am not sure if you can even run FP in safe mode (I can run FP in Firefox safe mode).

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Don't click on link in Post#11  

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, You can disregard Post#11, it was a spam post and I was just warning you or anyone else. It has been removed now.

BitDefender is causing you a problem. Either that or you still have Malware on your system. That's want it sounds like to me.

But to run any other Anti-Virus program, that BitDefender needs Disabled. Otherwise it will prevent any other Scanners to do what's needed.

You don't want to Disable it until you have another Anti-Virus Scanner on your Desktop.

I'll see what I have on that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2011 2:16 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, After you Disabled the Realtime Protection in BitDefender, did you Uninstall Flash Player first before Installing? If so, check your Flash folder to make sure you have the correct Flash Files that you posted earlier. Also the Shockwave Flash Object is still Installed and Enabled. If all of those are the same and you can still see the Flash Player logo, then check this:

The UAC in Vista can be turned off or on. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Con trol-on-or-off

See if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then go to www.malwarebytes.org and download and SAVE to your Desktop the Free version. Use the Update feature and allow it to update. Then close it.

Now close all browser windows and:

Disable BitDefender:

Double click on the system icon for Bit Defender.

When the Bit Defender window appears, move mouse arrow to the left side and click >> Virus Shield.

Move mouse arrow to the black check by Virus Shield is enabled and click.

The black works will change to red, >> Virus Shield is disabled.

Move mouse arrow to the top right corner and click the down arrows.

Bit Defender is now inactive.

To enable Bit Defender, do the same steps except click to enable.

Now Open malwarebytes and click on Scanner and run a full scan. If any malware is found, follow their instructions for removing it.

Then re-enable BitDefender.

Let me know the results of the UAC and the Scan.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 2:45 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Did you want me to do these things to? I didn't since subject line is different than my original question.

Sorry, but it has become so confusing since I started receiving about 65 emails a day from many different Forum Support workers.

Sorry also, but I haven't uninstalled Flash Player either and am not sure how to do this. Last thing you asked for System information and how to find bytes #.

Sorry again,

tcenters

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 3:38 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, I don't think there is any conflict with UAC and Flash Player. I think what is happening is Malware related. The UAC when working properly is to warn you with an Internet Security warning before downloading/installing any Software and asks your permission. Since you didn't mention these warnings, it makes me think perhaps the UAC is not working properly.

Some malware will re-appear. So update MBAM, disable BitDefender, close all browser windows and run another Quick Scan with MBAM.

After that, click on the Logs at MBAM and let me know what kind of malware was found and where.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2011 1:25 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, thanks for the info and running that again. That WebSearch family is malware for sure, as I've seen it before. I'm surprised that BitDefender didn't find any of what MBAM did. Cookies are one thing, but what MBAM found is something else.

However looking at the logs, this one was not selected for removal. Files Infected: c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3EZSETP.DLL (PUP.FunWebProducts) -> Not selected for removal.

It should be removed. Can you go to the location c:\program files\funwebproducts\Installr\1.bin\F3EZSETP.DLL

and find that, right click on it and delete/remove it?

So UAC is working then, ok.

While you are doing that, I want to check if I have anything else on WebSearch related.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, Thanks for doing all of the checking, but since this WebSearch family has many names and can re-appear it was important to make sure. Perhaps that latest scan removed it. Good to know nothing was found.

I hope also that this takes care of the IE issue.

This is just a suggestion, but since BitDefender didn't find this, it may be a good idea to keep MBAM updated and run it once a day with a quick scan. Either at start up or shut down. You'll find the quick scan will get faster after being used a few times. That is what I have found, since I use it also.

Let me know if IE is working as it should.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 12:10 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Well, that is strange. It's showing the Flash10p.ocx which is the Flash Player ActiveX Control and FP vs 10.2.159.1.

Now FP has updated to version 10.3.181.14 and whether this would solve the issue, I can't say.

Do you recall the site you were on when this happened? I don't need to know other than if it was a video/youtube.

Did you receive an IE Security warning from UAC?

I know that BitDefender has RealProtection. Is that Virus Shield installed into the IE browser or any addons at all in the browser of BitDefender?

I know you didn't have any issues with BD before, but sometimes when FP updates a conflict can occur due to changes in FP.

Something is causing this.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 2:52 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, so updating Flash Player to the latest version didn't help, as you are still getting the error. Something is conflicting with Shockwave Flash Object in my opinion since even tho the error is coming from Windows, it involves the Flash10q.ocx. This is the ActiveX Control for Flash Player. The "q" reflects that latest version of Flash Player you just updated to.

BitDefender may warn you about dangerous websites, but it didn't warn you nor prevent the Install of all of the WebSearch malware.

Go to Tools, Manage addons and look in Toolbars & Extensions; go to "Show" and look in all 4 categories also for any BitDefender addons/BHO's/Helpers or anything related to BD.

Do you have any Toolbars Installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:23 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, Did you turn UAC off while Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player to the latest version?

Also, since you mentioned encryption it reminded me of something. Go to Tools, Internet Options and under the Advanced Tab, page down to Security. Is there a check mark in the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk"?

On the Anti-Virus programs and the Viruses. Most all programs have data bases of known malware as they all collect what's out there. There are new malware daily as that is a full time job for the bad guys!!

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:49 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi, ok on the no check mark in the encrypted area.

The UAC can be turned off while troubleshooting. My understanding is that the reason it is there is when you are going to download or install a program. A warning just to be sure you trust the program and don't download or install a risky program.

Do you get that error on other websites too? If so, then perhaps you could call Microsoft about this. Might save some money.

Don't forget malware can do some crazy things even when it's been removed. It could have caused a glitch with the UAC.

I do hope you find out what the cause is. Let me know if you have time.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 6:36 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

I have a similar problem which happens whenever I walk away from the computer for extended periods (overnight, for example) and leave IE open with a tab logged onto http://www.nytimes.com.  Doesn't matter if the NY Times tab is "on top" or if it is one of many inactive tabs; I jiggle the mouse in the morning to wake up the screen (power saving mode: screen only) and the error message is right there on top waiting for me.

I know it is the NYTimes tab which is crashing because IE always offers to recover the crashed tab.  I always have multiple IE browsers running with multiple tabs on each, many of which contain Flash objects.  However, crashes only occur with the NYTimes site.

I can find lots of these in Event Viewer; here are just a few:

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79912

Faulting module name: Flash10d.ocx, version: 10.0.42.34, time stamp: 0x4ae7baed

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0011294f

Faulting process id: 0x878

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc06745175ad0a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWow64\Macromed\Flash\Flash10d.ocx

Report Id: 2d204abe-75e7-11e0-ba45-001bdc0fdeb9

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16700, time stamp: 0x4cd23213

Fault offset: 0x002054be

Faulting process id: 0x2060

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbc959fa124fbb

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Report Id: eb38d561-35af-11e0-97ee-001bdc0fdeb9

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7600.16700, time stamp: 0x4cd23213

Fault offset: 0x00218f8b

Faulting process id: 0xfa8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbbbee85351097

Report Id: 9408eee7-2a3e-11e0-a82c-001bdc0fdeb9

Fault offset: 0x00181bf7

Faulting process id: 0x1fe4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbadb8bb6a6c0a

Report Id: 16a281fa-1a08-11e0-8cbb-001bdc0fdeb9

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79912

Fault offset: 0x002f50fa

Faulting process id: 0x262c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cbf5170f31989e

Report Id: 90a25db9-6169-11e0-bec1-001bdc0fdeb9

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 7:59 AM   in reply to 654897258

Hi 654......  Just real quick. You have a very very old version of Flash Player showing in that error. Either you haven't updated in a long time, or you have some old Flash Player files that didn't get removed during an Uninstall.

You will need to start a discussion of your own so this can be explored.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 8:05 AM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi Der Grashupfer, Yes RealPlayer is a known conflict. I should have had you post all of your addons, but sometimes it's not easy since we don't have the feature on the Forum anymore.

Hopefully you've isolated this problem. Can you use Windows Media Player instead of RealPlayer?

Thanks for posting this info.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to eidnolb
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

eidnolb wrote:

Hi 654......  Just real quick. You have a very very old version of Flash Player showing in that error. Either you haven't updated in a long time, or you have some old Flash Player files that didn't get removed during an Uninstall.

You will need to start a discussion of your own so this can be explored.

Thanks,

eidnolb

I am actually running 10.3.181.14 at the moment.  I pulled those errors from the Event Viewer without paying much attention to the dates.

I have learned to avoid leaving IE running with a NYTimes tab open, so haven't had the error since updating to latest Flash.  Perhaps I will test it overnight...

Not to hijack, but if you have a moment, take a look at http://forums.adobe.com/message/3673392#3673392 for a more serious issue I am having with Flash.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 6:53 PM   in reply to Der Grashüpfer

Hi Der Grashupfer, I'm glad you were able to find that program that found the conflict. I need one of those

That's a good idea to use RP when you need to. I do that with some of the addons that I don't use all of the time. Glad you are able to have your computer running without those issues!

Thanks for marking your thread as answered also.

Regards,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb spelling -can't type on this laptop!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points