Skip navigation
trc49492
Currently Being Moderated

Flash video in Acrobat X makes scrolling document slow or freeze after playing

May 2, 2011 2:57 PM

I am running an HP Intel Core i7 CPU   @2.8 GHz, with 8 GB memory and the 64 bit Windows 7 operating system and using Google Chrome and a Nvidia GeForce GT 220 graphics card that shows:

Total available graphics memory 4095 MB

Dedicated Video Memory: 1024MB

System Video Memory: 0MB

Shared System memory: 3071MB

I made a PDF and inserted a 1 minute flash video into the PDF which has about 3 pages of text.

1.  I scroll down to the flash video with no problem...

2. I click on the flash vid and it starts to play, no problem.

3.  After it is playing I start to scroll up and down to the other pages and it is fine for a while, but then sometimes the scolling freezes and cannot scroll any more.  Also right after the video stops and I try to scroll the scrolling gets stuck.  So it hangs for a few seconds but then once the video is stopped I can scroll up and down fine again.

The scrolling limitation appears to be related to the fact the video is playing.  But My PC and graphics card are not what I woudl consider 'slow' or out dated.

It seems like quite a bad thing to happen for anyone who reads such a document and plays the video and then decides to start scrolling again to read the text below it.

Leads to a bad user experience...

Does this happen to everyone else out there?

Is there a fix for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2011 12:29 AM   in reply to trc49492

Rich media (Flash, video, 3D, etc.) is stored in the PDF file in compressed form, and is uncompressed at the point of playback (i.e. when the video activates). This introduces a small delay if you're scrolling past a video, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points