Linking one record to another record

Explorer ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two tables:

Ads

Articles

I've created a way to link specific ads to specific articles so that relevant ads are shown to whoever is reading an article. However, I think my method is going to require a lot of upkeep. I thought about entering keywords for the ads and articles, but I wanted it to be more specific so the results were more relevant.

How would you go about it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would design a normalized database for this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The data is very efficiently laid out. I'm not sure I see how normalizing it would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you just need a link table to implement a many-to-many relationship between those two tables?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. The problem I'm having with the entire thing is that when a new ad comes in, you have to go back through every old article to link the relevant articles to that ad. I'm not sure there's a way around that though, unless I go back to using keywords instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did go back and link old articles to new ads, what criteria would you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good question. The criteria right now is my estimation of how relevant I believe the ad is to any given article. Ads for pool builders naturally link to articles about re-doing your backyard, for instance. Using keywords to link those types of ads/editorials that clearly have something in common would be a simple and organic process, but when you have advertisers like lawyers or photographers, it's likely that they'll never get any eyeballs unless they're manually linked to an article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation