Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you search for "good" takes

May 7, 2011 1:18 PM

I'm attempting to use the xmp metadata panel to mark some of my clips as good using the "good" checkbox, but I cant find how to then filter the list in the project panel to just show the good takes.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 7, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to buraihan

metadata_display.png

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 7, 2011 5:29 PM   in reply to buraihan

You could sort in list view, then move all of your "Good" takes

to a new "select takes" bin... then use icon view there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 13, 2012 8:33 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

The way premiere handles metadata (entering as well as searching for afterwards) is complete rubbish. These kind of "sort and then put into new bin" techniques are just workarounds that I guess pros put up with because they have no choice.

As a new user of CS6, I basically see no point to the "Good" flag if I can't search for it in the search box.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 13, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to thepossibility

Click on the Header in the 'Good' Column

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    970 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Nov 14, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to shooternz

Correct me if I'm wrong, shooternz, but I didn't think that there was a header in thumbnail view.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

That is correct...but the suggestion was just a method to bring the clips marked "Good" to the forefront in the list.

BTW: If 'the possibility' was to place searceable text in another field..he would be able to use the search box to locate and sort

What Joe bloe suggested in his post #3 is not a workaround... but a method editors have used for ever for efficient editing workflows.  Equivalent of a selects roll or a selects bin.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to shooternz

That's even how the folders in an NLE came to be called bins.  Film editors would literally cut the full reel into takes, and sort the takes into actual bins for later organization.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to shooternz

So what you're saying is I have to type "Good" into something like the comments field; sounds a lot more labour intensive than checking a box which is already provided for you – if only the box wasn't crippled by not being able to search for it.

So assuming I go with this approach of sorting by good and copying all those into another bin, they would then lose any hierarchy that I have already created by putting them into other named bins in the first place -- not very useful.

How would you propose I organise the 1200 clips that we have filmed over the last 2 months (with another month to go) for our documentary - I need to know their by location, subject matter, whether they were interviews, if they were cutaways what was in them, etc.?

I've been using bins as rough folders because we are a 2 person doco team and I want to be able to drag and drop to sort them in the project window as well as flick through them quickly to show the director what we have and don't have. Am I "doing it wrong" or am I missing something?

What do the pros do to organise their clips on long shooting expeditions?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to thepossibility

Well, I either move the Good column over so I can see it next to the clip names.  Or I just sort by that column and all the Good takes show up at the top.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 14, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Thanks Jim.

Though I still want to be able to search on any column of metadata, including booleans.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to buraihan

I thought I'd update because I found something that works... Kind of.

Seeing as the GOOD flag is a boolean, I did a search for "TRUE" (not case-sensitive, I think) in the search box and sure enough, only clips marked GOOD showed up. However, I noticed that it wasn't all of them. So I found some of the clips that weren't showing and I toggled the GOOD flag a couple of times... And now they show up when I search for "TRUE".

Not exactly reliable behaviour. And also I haven't used any other flag/checkbox metadata fields except for GOOD - so I don't know if others would turn up.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points