Skip navigation
TeR-D
Currently Being Moderated

convert old freehand to illustrator

May 9, 2011 6:46 AM

I have some rather old freehand files (early nineties) I gues freehand 3.1 - without extension.

Does anyone know:

- the right extension (tried .fh3 - and all other - without success)

- a way to convert them to illustrator...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2011 7:23 AM   in reply to TeR-D

Opening the freehand file in a text editor, adn in the first few paragraphs should tell you the verison.

Might not matter if you have the exact version, just as long as Illustrator try to open the code, try .fh9

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/illustrator/articles/illcs2ip_fhillt ech/illcs2ip_fhilltech.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to TeR-D

Two possible solutions:

- the file might have been saved with compression. Search for Disk Doubler on this forum. It has been discussed and solved.

- look for someone with a FreeHand version 7. They can open it and save to version 7, which can then be openen in Illustrator

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

In case forum search is still broken:

If you need something to open old DiskDoubler compressed files, look into TheUnarchiver; you can Goggle it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2011 8:27 PM   in reply to TeR-D

I converted ten complex FreeHand maps to Illustrator a while back. The extension I used was .fh3. I opened them with my Mac tower 9500 in FreeHand 7. I then Exported each map to Illustrator 8 (extension .ai) and copied them over to a newer Mac. I then Opened and Saved them in Illustrator 10 (my favorite version at the time [2007]). It sounds like a lot of steps with some desktop maneuvers on an older Mac with FreeHand 7 -- but I would not have wanted to recreate those ten color maps again. (A professor was moving all of his classroom graphics to PowerPoint and needed revised versions.) On my Mac OS 9.1 system: the .fh3 extension was the 'key' to successfully converting the drawings. (I still have the older Mac 9500 because it runs my big older Linotype Hell Saphir scanner.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 12:13 AM   in reply to TeR-D

Hi TeR,

Yes, I would be willing to give one a (convert to .ai) try ... if you know a way to get a file to me. It would be nice to know if the drawings were created on a Mac or PC. I am not sure it would matter, it's just that in my FreeHand days I would give copies of my FreeHand drawings to PC-folks and the patterns would wig out on the PCs ... so I have always assumed that the platforms were a bit different. That's one of the main reasons I gave up on FreeHand and continued with Illustrator: I never had those problems with Illustrator.

SciDot [from mid-coast California]

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to TeR-D

I sent a private message to you via your website contact info -- so we should be good-to-go on this project. I will be interested to see if I can convert your file(s). SciDot

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 7:24 AM   in reply to TeR-D

Check the "your stuff" section in this forum. It contains your private messages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 4:31 AM   in reply to TeR-D

I have to give a big 'Thank You' to Monika for her tip that FreeHand 7 files can be opened right from the newer CS Illustrator(s) now ... and for telling TeR and me how to find our private messages on this forum. TeR sent me one old FreeHand file which I opened in (Mac) Freehand 7 and Saved as .fh7 -- I then Opened the .fh7 directly from Illustrator CS4 (Mac). The great part about CS4 Illustrator is that the old FreeHand drawing Opened with *all four Layers!* (The old 2007 method, that I mentioned in an earlier post, resulted in a flat (one-layer) .ai drawing.) As an Illustrator-user who loves layers, I was really pleased with the new CS4 results. A second FH that TeR sent me would not open because a dialog box came up asking for some file that I did not have -- so FH7 would not open it at all. The dialog box gave only a choice of: 1) Find the file named, or, 2) Cancel. But our little experiment was a partial success. Thanks again, Monika, for your help on this one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 1:14 PM   in reply to SciDot_ai

You're welcome.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 3:35 PM   in reply to TeR-D

Nothing to do with the post really just a comment... man freehand was such a cool programme tho's days. Still miss some of the features that have some how faded away in new apps...

G

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points