Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Need image ideas for grapic design banner

May 9, 2011 1:05 PM

Hey,

I'm just rebuilding my portfolio website and am creating a banner for each section (apple macs displaying some of my websites for the web design section, for example).

To be perfectly honest, I'm really struggling for ideas for the Graphic Design section. I need some sort of visual metaphor for it, so all suggestions welcome and appreciated.

I'm also having difficulty for the 'Other work' category. I thought about using a jigsaw piece that didn't fit (symbolising that the work didn't fit into any other categories, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea). So any ideas my fellow creatives can offer would be great

Many, many thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

ps. I am perfectly happy to use text to support any images.

Thanks again!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2011 1:31 AM   in reply to Austin1988

Austin,

I believe the context is crucial. What may work great on another website may be wrong for you, depending on the overall appearance of site/page.

It might help the helpers to see, or get some hints about, what it should fit into.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to Austin1988

Austin,

It may be too far out, but what about a rabbit in a top hat for Other work, or for Graphic design (in the latter case, it could be drawn with very simple lines)?

For Graphic design (as another option), you may use a (partial) sample of some convincing artwork.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to Austin1988

I do understand your considerations, Austin.

And the rabbit/top hat to suggest your magical power (in graphic design if used in that context) may be seen as less serious.

In any case, what one visitor might find great/astonishing/superb, may not work for another.

Some  decisions are difficult.

By the way, I really like the eye part. The yellow posters part is difficult to make out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2011 2:29 PM   in reply to Austin1988

Apart from the copyright issue, I believe you should not rely on icons of specific versions because they get outdated by the following ones.

But you might consider a transition instead of a montage, from a raw, more sketchy part (far left) to a part with a final touch (effects/shades/highlights/3D/whatever) (far right). Your mentioning application icons reminded me of the transition over versions of Illustrator ending with 10. In the Illustrator forum, some of us recognize her as Illy or (Auntie) Illie, and as I have pointed out more than once, she is not Venus (whose neck is 80% longer as any forensic expert would confirm). That was before the Illies became the icon of CS.

Such a transition could be taken from some work (where different stages have been preserved) to reveal the magic of what can be done, rather than the final appearance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 11:44 AM   in reply to Austin1988

I think you've used a lot of 'graphic design' related images in the other banners. Maybe finding a nice image or a blueprint/sketch with a stencil or a graphic tablet? Just an idea!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points