Skip navigation
fenque
Currently Being Moderated

New in Premiere Pro CS5. Questions: markers, shortcuts, keyframes, and more!

May 12, 2011 5:18 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm an editor from Argentina, with background in Avid media Composer, but I'm switching to premiere pro cs5 for a new job. I was highly and happily surprised with it. But, there's still a couple of things I haven't quite got right, yet.

So, a couple of newbie questions... you'll save me a lot of time if you can answer some of them.

Markers
1a. Can I use markers with different colors?
1b. Is there a way to select more than one marker and delete them at the same time? Of course, with out deleting all of them, just the ones I need.
1c. How can I set up a shortcut for going to next\previous clip marker in the timeline? In shortcuts, I go to Marker>Go go Clip marker> and select a shortcut, but in the timeline it goes nowhere. I have made this work for sequence markers in the timeline, and this shortcut also work for going next\previous marker on a clip in the source monitor.
1d. How can I extend a marker in the timeline? I know I can set the duration of the marker in the pop up menu... but if there a way to do it directly in the timeline?

Razor Tool
2. A simple one. After I've used the razor tool on a clip... how can I join the clip again?

Track Select Tool
3. Can the Track Select Tool, select all the clips to the LEFT, instead of all the clips to the right? In avid there's a Select Right command, which works as the track selector, but there's also a Select Left command, which does the same, but to the left.

Audio Master Meters
4.Another simple one. Can I put this in a horizontal way? It'll fit perfectly in the tool bar then.

Tab sizes
5.Can the tab size be modified? I have "Media browser", "Info", "History", "Effects" all docked... but the size of the panel is such that I can never see the four tabs at once, I have to drag the little bar at the top. Can I have the tabs be smaller so that I can see the four of them... as if they said "Media.." "inf.." "hist".."eff"... instead of wasting space with long tab names?

Keyframes
6. Is there a shortcut to add one? Where is it in the shorcut configuration? I know I can put them with the Pen Tool, I need a shortcut to replace the "add/remove keyframe" button on the tracks in the timeline.
6b.How can I snap the current time indicator to a shortcut in the timeline?
6c. Can I lazo multiple keyframes?

Audio While Scrubbing
7. In Preferences>Audio>Play Audio While Scrubbing I can select that on and off. How can I set a shortcut for that?

Well... that was A LOT! Sorry for so many questions. Hopefully they can help other new users.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2011 6:06 PM   in reply to fenque

From the top:

1a. No; but you can set numbered markers, for both clips and the sequence.

1b. No; you can delete one or all.

1c. You have to select the clip in order to activate the command.

1d. You can only do this in the Marker dialog.

2. No direct way to do this. Delete either the portion before or after the edit, and then extend the clip to fill the gap. Clunky, yes.

3. No, the Track Select tool only operates to the right.

4. Audio meters are vertical only.

5. The tab size matches the title of the tab; no way to change this.

6a. No keyframe shortcut.

6b. It doesn't work in the Timeline panel, but in the Effects Controls panel, you can hold down Shift to snap the CTI as you drag.

6c. You can lasso multiple keyframes in the Effects Controls panel with the standard selection tool, or you can use the Pen tool in the Timeline panel. Just be sure to start within the graphical representation of the clip.

7. No, it's only a program preference.

Sorry that so many of them are negative! Be sure to file feature requests for anything that you'd like to see: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 7:04 PM   in reply to fenque

Welcome to the forum.

Razor Tool
    2. A simple one. After I've used the razor tool on a clip... how can I join the clip again?

You have not actually cut the file, just have written some instructions to the PRPROJ (Project file) in XML. As Colin notes, you can Delete part, then extend the other to cover that place on the Timeline, or, if you have not done an Exit, then Open, use either Ctrl+Z (Undo), or use the History Panel, to Undo things.

Track Select Tool
    3. Can the Track Select Tool, select all the clips to the LEFT, instead of all the clips to the right? In avid there's a Select Right command, which works as the track selector, but there's also a Select Left command, which does the same, but to the left.

Use the cursor to "lasso" the Clips to the left.

Think that Colin addressed all others, but will go back and read each of his comments. Unfortunately, the forum software, Jive, does not allow for me to do this easily, like other forum software does. I can only see the post, to which I am replying, unless I open a bunch of tabs, and then try to navigate between each of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2011 7:07 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt
    You have not actually cut the file, just have written some instructions to the PRPROJ (Project file) in XML.

I think he's well aware of that. Avid lets you delete the edit in a split clip, and I think this is what he's referring to. Premiere does not have this capability, since edit points are not selectable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points