Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to preserve custom textattributes after an idml roundtrip

May 13, 2011 4:50 AM

Hello,

I made a custom textattribute for IDCS5 and everything works fine as long i remain the Indesign CS5 fileformat. I want that my attribute 'survives' a idml roundtrip (i.e. Exporting to idml, open the idml in indesign and save it back to .indd). There is where it goes wrong. My attribute is lost in the roundtripped document.

The docs i found concerning preserving for .idml are all about custom scripting objects. My attribute is not scriptable and can not be accessed by the scripting api.

As i understood, IAttrImportExport is only about exporting to tagged text, right?

I tought it had to do with persistency, but as i found out, an attribute is by default persistent. When i save/close my document and reopen it, the attribute is still there anyway.

So, i'm stuck now. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Bart.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2011 6:23 AM   in reply to Bart Devos

You need to make your attribute scriptable for it to round trip throught IDML.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to Bart Devos

AFAIK in order to save your custom textattribute in inx/idml you need to provide scripting access for it, because that's the way the export/import engine works – in fact, it makes use of scripting and inx/idml files aren't much more than scriping instructions to re-create InDesign document. So, you have to make it scriptable...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points