Skip navigation
basketzap
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble importing .mov files coming from FCP/Mac

May 14, 2011 4:44 AM

Hello,

My friend works on Final Cut Pro on Mac. He gave me rushs from vidéos he imported (and the exported) on FCP.

An example of these files is here :

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9S9yK830UrNM2QyZTBhYWEtYjM2NC00NWNiL ThiZTktOWQwZGNjNzY1OGMz&hl=fr

There are several file sizes 1280 / 720 and others.

Codecs are : Codec : MPEG-1/2 Video (xdva)

Codec : PCM S16 LE (sowt)

I can read the files with VLC on my computer.

When I import the files on Premier Pro CS5... it crashes the program.

I went through the forums... tried to download more codecs via Klite Codec Pack. I also installed Calibrated(Q) XP Options... but i'm not sure i used it right.

In the end, I am unable to do anything... and I am extremely frustrated, and MAD at Apple and it's never-compatible formats.

Anyone can help ?

Thanks.

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 14, 2011 6:38 AM   in reply to basketzap

Anyone can help ?

Yes...  your friend who works on FCP on a mac can help.

He could provide you with cross platform compatible media files.

FCP File Formats You Can Export with QuickTime

CS5 Supported import formats

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2011 7:00 AM   in reply to basketzap
    MAD at Apple and it's never-compatible formats.

Welcome to the club.  My advice is to try and bring your friend over from the dark side and convince him to play nice with the rest of planet Earth and use a Windows machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 14, 2011 7:03 AM   in reply to basketzap

He provided me with more than 300 files...

Wow! That's unfortunate.

When planning to collaborate with another editor, especially on a different OS

and a different NLE, the first question/solution should be what cross-platform

media type should be employed... and usually one test file will confirm.

Either he will need to re-encode or you will have to find some way to flip

them to something you can use, likely compromising quality as you do.

Someone has to redo the files, I would vote for him.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 7:14 AM   in reply to basketzap

Try the following on about 5-10 files, and see how they work in Premiere:

1. Get ffmbc - FFMedia Broadcast .   This is a customized build of FFmpeg that is more geared toward   broadcast formats and applications. The latest "official" release (0.5)   will work.
    2. Open the archive and find the "ffmbc.exe" file in  the "bin" folder. Drop it into the folder with the MOVs--or if you know  how to set up a custom path, you could do that too.
    3. Create a new  text file called something like "mov2mxf.bat" making sure that you can  see file extensions; you need to have the .BAT extension. Make this file  in the same folder as the MOVs and FFmbc.
    4. Paste the following into the batch file:
      @ECHO OFF
      for %%a in (*.mov) do ffmbc -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -f mxf -y "%%~na".mxf

5. Save it--again making sure it has a .BAT  extension--and then double-click it to run it. It will rewrap all of the  MOVs as MXF files that will import into Premiere.

As I said, test a few and see how they edit. Premiere can decode the video streams natively, but when in the MOV container, it cannot. This losslessly rewraps the video and audio into an MXF container, which is supported in Premiere.

If that doesn't work, post back, and we'll try a few other things.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 8:18 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Joe,

I agree completely with your suggestions. I used to use several Mac-only 3D artists, and required that they output to MOV Animation that matched my Project. They all complied and not one file ever caused an issue.

Hunt

PS - sometimes, I almost feel that some folk just love providing the folk on another platform with stuff that cannot be edited on their machine - almost a passive-aggresive action, and not a nice one. I used to see that often in the still image/advertising business, but as my PC could handle everything Mac, I just laughed, as I opened up their files and worked on them. Usually, after a few attempts to trip me up, and prove that their Mac's were better, than my PC, they'd stop the foolishness and play nice. Video is more complicated though, and there are some real pitfalls there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2011 6:31 PM   in reply to basketzap

Hmm... yes... I see that the 0.5 build has disappeared. Bummer. Unfortunately, I'm not so savvy that I know how to build from source code. Let me do some research, and I'll update later.

Unfortunately, FFmpeg won't work for this; it's MXF muxer fails and it creates broken files. This isn't a problem with FFmbc. Stay tuned...

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 12:51 AM   in reply to basketzap

Hi,

I downloaded your file and I can also confirm that it freezes both PremierePro CS5 and CS5.5. It just freezes when trying to create peak file.

I also have Calibrated(Q) XP Options.

Quicktime Pro tells that it is XDCAM-EX 720p50 1280x720

With Quicktime Pro you can export it to other format, I tried Avid DNxHD 720p/50 and Premiere opened it nicely.

But 300 files...

pena

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 2:40 AM   in reply to basketzap

300 hundred files

Isn't that usually described as 30,000?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 7:37 AM   in reply to basketzap

Sorry, I don't know if Quicktime Pro can do batch exporting, hardly with PC.

Have you possibility to use original material straight from camera without FCP route?

If you have got only selected shots, Quicktime Pro will show you the timecode start time of these shots.

Your clip has Timecode Start Time 18:03:10:28 in my Qt Pro.

Pena

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 4:43 PM   in reply to basketzap

I've been trying to learn how to compile it, but it's a little over my head at the moment. However, this build might work; I haven't tested it, so I can't say for sure.

Let me know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 10:33 AM   in reply to basketzap

Just tried that build, and it works fine. Note that you need the libpthread-2.dll file in the same folder as FFmbc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points