Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color correction challenge, PP5.5 Mac, ProRes to WMV

May 15, 2011 2:47 PM

I'm eager to complete my transition from FC Studio to Production Premium CS5.5, but I'm challenged to ensure consistent color in my ProRes to WMV workflow. Any advice would be appreciated.

My shooting gear: EX1R, w and w/o Nanoflash

Editing gear: 2008 MacPro (3.1), OSX 10.6.7, 10 GB RAM, ATI Raedon 4870

Workflow (FCP): Acquire footage, edit native (XD CAM EX/XDCAM HD22), render sequence to ProRes 422, transcode via Quicktime 7 Pro/Flip for Mac to produce WMV files for my PC clients.

Workflow CS5.5 (intended:) Acquire footage, edit native (XDCAM HD 422 via Nanoflash), output sequence to ProRes, transcode to WMV via Quicktime 7 Pro/Flip for Mac HD. After I put a "trial" sequence together in PP5.5, I adjust footage with 3-way color corrector. Here's where the fun starts:

Process: I attempt to create a "master file" from the sequence, using AME with output set for Pro Res. The next intended step would be to open the file in Quicktime Pro 7, then encode via Flip for Mac to produce a smaller WMV file for my clients.

Outcome (1) The results look as though color correction was bypassed completely. After much trial and error, I discovered that when I encoded using ProRes 4444, color corrections were preserved. Yet when I transcoded from 4444 to wmv, (2) the resulting files appeared to have no color correction. No good.

I'm stumped! I thought I was on to something when I noticed the "preset" for outputting XDCAM HD422 was not set for "progressive," but it appears to make no difference.

Sidebar: I experience the same issue regardless of use of XDCAM EX or XDCAM HD422 files. With the latter, I've edited clips in MOV and MXF format. Same outcome.

Until I get this workflow issue sorted out, I'm stalled in completing my transition to PP. I'd like to have acquired gobs more RAM and an Nvidia Quadro 4800 card already, but I need to know that I've fixed this issue first.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Sincerely,

Tom

Raleigh, NC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2011 6:52 PM   in reply to tpf1952

Why not just output the WMV files directly from AME?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2011 7:11 PM   in reply to tpf1952
    in the Mac platform.

Ah, well.  I think the solution there is obvious.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to tpf1952

Hi Tom,

I have exactly the same problem. However, I don't use Compressor, and would prefer not have to do such a long workaround. I'm glad you were able to find a way to do it, but it would be nice to find a way to preserve the colour correction in a more streamlined way.

Thanks,

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points