• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Air Cookies Removed When App Closed?

New Here ,
May 16, 2011 May 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a flex app which I would also now like to offer an Air client for. I don't want to create a new authentication system just for the Air app, I just want to use the cookie/session setup that I already have in place.

The cookies work and after logging in to the AIR app I can make subsequent requests without being asked to authenticate again, the problem is that the cookie seems to be deleted when the client is shut down, meaning that when I restart the air client I have to log in again which is obviously not acceptable for my users.

Is this expected behaviour in AIR and if so, what is the work around?

Cheers,

Chris

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2011 May 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

AIR uses the underlying operating system stack for managing cookies. As such, cookies can be shared between different AIR applications and with browsers that use OS stack (e.g. Internet Explorer on Windows).

From the official documentation as well as my experiments, cookies are preserved between application restarts.

I suspect the application uses session cookies for authentication -- these are meant to be cleared when the browser exits and for a good reason (mostly security). AIR clears session cookies when the application closes, unlike some browsers (e.g. Firefox) that don't always clear them.

From what I can tell, you have 2 choices here:

• change the authentication system to not use session cookies anymore -- I strongly suggest *NOT* to do this.
  • write some code in the application to read/write the credentials from another kind of storage when run in AIR, for instance using the Encrypted Local Store. You could do this by inspecting the value of flash.system.Capabilities.playerType (see http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/system/Capabilities.html#playerType ). You would have to write some AIR specific code, but it wouldn't require you to rewrite the authentication system.

Hope this helps,

Mihai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI Mihal,

Thanks for the response. I originally used Encrypted local store along with

remote object credentials but it clearly has issues on Linux as it would

randomly fail in around one in twenty requests, I stripped the code down to

bare bones and tested it on multiple Linux clients with all showing the same

results, although some were more frequent than others.

Okay, I'll just have to accept that if I'm to use AIR cross platform, then

the user will have to login every time they start the app.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines