Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF to Tiff conversion using 10.0

May 16, 2011 11:43 AM

Need help with

converting a color PDF to single B&W group 4 tiff.

Note that some PDF images are crystal clear, but there are some

that have a screenshot pasted onto a blank page and these convert

very light and distorted.  I have used all verions of Acrobat (

verions 4 to 10).  Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 16, 2011 2:37 PM   in reply to GeorgeHayduke

The problem is with the original screen capture. Screen captures are frequently done poorly (One conversion). Convert to pdf  (Second conversion). Convert to pdf (third conversion). There might be an additional conversion if the screen capture is embedded into a document before conversion to pdf. It would be best to go directly from screen capture to tiff. Remember each conversion looses information and creates a lower quality graphic. If you are being given the screen capture to convert, you want to make sure that it is handled in a way to maximize its fidelity at each step.

Having a good screen capture program helps. In recent years, I've used Snagit, Captivate and RoboScreen Capture. When converting to pdf, be sure you choose a setting that maximizes fidelity of your image.  The settings for doing this depend upon the form of your original document (graphic vs text, word or dtp document).

Now if you have a document and you cannot recreate the pdf so that you image is high quality, there is little you can do to improve the final product within Acrobat. Your best bet is to use a graphics program like Photoshop. However, Photoshop is not magic. It cannot convert poor images to good images, but you can use some tricks in Photoshop to enhance different parts of the the final image before converting to TIFF. If you don't have access to Photoshop you might try GIMP (open source image program). On the Mac programs like Graphics Converter are inexpensive and capable. Graphic Converter will convert entire folders on the fly. But you can work on single files when they need extra attention. I don't know if Photoshop Elements has support of pdf files, so I hesitate recommending it, but Photoshop does have a free trial. It is nothing that you will learn overnight, but simple conversion of a pdf to TIFF should be rather straight forward.

The one thing you can try before looking at graphics programs is to crop the images before converting to TIFF. But I doubt that this will help greatly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points