Skip navigation
Snowman\'s Screen
Currently Being Moderated

Manual Sort of a Collection Stopped Working Bridge CS4 Windows

May 17, 2011 6:24 AM

I've had CS4 for a coulple years.  I've always been able to open a collection, choose manual sort from the drop down, drag/drop photos around to the order I like, leave the collection, return to the collection and see that my sort order was preserved.  Now, anytime I leave the collection to go to a different collection or to a folder the manual sort order is lost when I return to the collection. I have Windows Vista. I've tried to uninstall and reinstall CS4.  CS4 had the latest updates at the time the issue started.  The only thing I can think of is that maybe an automatic Windows update broke it.  Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2011 4:28 AM   in reply to Snowman\'s Screen

Hi,

Could you please try this:

Open Bridge, and open an Explorer and browse to [osdisk]:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS6\UserSort, let the two windows show out.

Change the sorting manually in one collection, check whether a file UserSort *.xml in Explorer is updated (Date modified value is changed)? And when you navigate out the folder, any change to that file?

Thanks,

Bridge QE

Fran

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2011 9:09 PM   in reply to Snowman\'s Screen

Hi Scott,

The sorting in a collection will not create a BridgeSort file in the real folder of the files. The sorting in a collection is recorded in the UserSort*.xml.  In my test, when changing file sorting in a collection, a UserSort*.xml will be created(if it does not exist before). When you exit Bridge, the UserSort*.xml should still be there and last modified time should keep as the final time you adjusted the sorting in the collection.

Could you please check whether the UserSort129.xml and UserSort130.xml keep there after you quit Bridge?

Thanks,

Bridge QE

Fran

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2011 6:02 AM   in reply to Snowman\'s Screen

If you do the same operation with a folder will the manual sort stay?

I am using CS5 and it does.  Don't use collections so can say about those.

In general if if worked before and it does not now, and you have not made any hardware or software changes, I would reset the preferences.  Hold down the Ctrl key and click on Bridge start icon.  You will get a reset window with 3 options.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Bridge will not affect this file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Snowman\'s Screen

Hi, I've been having the same problems for several months on and off and could not find anything on exactly how to fix this -- extremely frustrating, as I use collections on a regular basis for our business.  It's very time consuming to rearrange 100+ photos each time.  But what I find helpful is to create a "contact sheet" of the collection, so that I can put them back in the same order.  I know that's not a fix, but it helps.

Anyway, I wanted to share my discovery from today...

So the other day I created some collections and everything was working fine, but today I opened up the collection and yep, the same thing happened.  This time instead of going ahead and manually rearranging the photos, I decided to try the Manual Sort -- of course it didn't work, but when I tried it a second time, it worked.  I went into another collection and tried the same thing... it worked.  Then I went back to the original collection and it was all out of order again, so I tried the double sort technique and IT WORKED AGAIN!!!

So the answer is 2x in a row!!!  I don't know if this is a fluke, but thought I'd share and maybe help someone else.

Your last post indicated that your collections were manually sorting again -- but my guess is that it didn't last:)

Using Mac version in case that matters...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points