I have several editors working on my InDesign files through InCopy. Some of them can open the ID file to edit in layout mode without locking the ID file from my use in InDesign, and some of them can't get into it if I have the file open and lock the file when they open it. I can't figure out what causes the difference. Is it the way I export the stories? I love it when we can be in the file at the same time, so I'd prefer to go the route that allows that behavior. I do know that I can export assignments and that the editors can open those rather than the ID file, and depending on the workflow, I do use assignments, but I'm specifically trying to figure out why sometimes an IC user causes a lock on an ID file and sometimes they don't. Any ideas?
InDesign is CS5 Mac (for me). Most of the editors are on Windows using CS5. I believe everyone is fully patched. We're mostly communicating over a Windows server, though I do have a team that is working in Dropbox. One of them can open ID files without locking and one of them can't. I use assignments in the Dropbox, but over the inhouse network, I usually don't.
Well, IC and ID are fully patched to 7.04. We still have the problem. When I have the ID file open in ID, the editor in IC gets a message saying it is unable to open the document and something about if it is in use on a network, the other user needs to close it (my paraphrase).
That is indeed very strange behavior. If the other user was opening it with InDesign that would be normal, but not with InCopy.
If it's completely reproducible, I'd file it as a bug: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
I wish I knew if it was reproducible. That's the whole reason that I'm posting on the forum. This particular editor has always been able to open my ID files whether I'm in them or not, but suddenly--starting just yesterday, in fact--he can no longer open the files that I have open. There's been another editor in the office that has never been able to open files that I have open--even files that the other editor could open. I can't figure out what the common link is. If I knew what was causing it, I'd definitely submit it as a bug.
As a follow up to my previous post: We've been having server problems over the last week. Yesterday morning, the IT server tech replaced a part in the physcial harddrive (I believe it was some kind of a controller). The part replacement fixed our server problems and we were back up and running full steam, but now I'm having this problem. I did call IT and ask them if their fix may have changed something, but they claimed it was completely hardware and shouldn't have effected file permissions.
LOL, now I'm even more confused. I just applied Murphy's Law (you know, the corollary that it always works for the technician), and called IT up to demonstrate the problem. It is now working like it's supposed to. I guess every time I get locked out, I'll call IT over to watch.