Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign file locks

May 17, 2011 12:13 PM

I have several editors working on my InDesign files through InCopy. Some of them can open the ID file to edit in layout mode without locking the ID file from my use in InDesign, and some of them can't get into it if I have the file open and lock the file when they open it. I can't figure out what causes the difference. Is it the way I export the stories?  I love it when we can be in the file at the same time, so I'd prefer to go the route that allows that behavior. I do know that I can export assignments and that the editors can open those rather than the ID file, and depending on the workflow, I do use assignments, but I'm specifically trying to figure out why sometimes an IC user causes a lock on an ID file and sometimes they don't.  Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2011 12:26 PM   in reply to E Diane King

What version of ID? IC? Mac? Win? Is everyone fully patched?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 12:56 PM   in reply to E Diane King

You need to make sure that all users are at 7.0.4.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to E Diane King

IC should not be locking ID...that is correct. It will lock the IC content if it's checked out, however.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to E Diane King

That is indeed very strange behavior. If the other user was opening it with InDesign that would be normal, but not with InCopy.

If it's completely reproducible, I'd file it as a bug: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points