Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
have.a.nice.day
Currently Being Moderated

I can't convert .cr2 canon raw files with DNG converter.

May 25, 2011 1:51 AM

I have a Canon 1000D, and im trying to open RAW files to edit in cs4. Everytime i open it, photoshop says that it doesnt recognise this type of file, but i open my friends RAW file (450D) and it can read it. I have also downloaded DNG converter, and it comes up with this message (first image) but my folder has .cr2 files......im really lost

Picture 4.png

Picture 3.png

I have also asked for help on the photoshop forum, but they referred me here...

Thanks

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 25, 2011 5:01 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Before looking for a complicated solultion, let's check the simple stuff...  What versions are your Camera Raw plug-in and DNG converter?

Camera support is added over time in updates.  Chances are you don't have the latest updates.  You'll want to update to Camera Raw 5.7 (the latest for Photoshop CS4), and DNG Converter 6.4 (the latest release as of this writing).

If choosing Help - Updates... in Photoshop CS4 won't get the job done for you, visit the Camera Raw update page and download the installer directly:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4682

Latest DNG converter here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platfor m=Macintosh

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2011 6:26 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

ACR 5.7 lists 1000D as compatible so no DNG Converter should be necessary.

Check to see that you have the ACR 5.7 installed by going into Photoshop and selecting Help / About Plug-in / Camera RAW, and also note how many Camera RAW items are listed.  There should only be one but if ACR is installed in more than one place then you can get multiple listings and the old one may still be in effect.

If you are using ACR 5.7 and the DNG Converter also complains then your files are likely corrupted.  You can verify this by posting a link to one of the files and letting other people try it on their computer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2011 5:25 PM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Digital capture files can be—and do get—corrupted in camera while being written to a bad card, or while being transferred over a bad cable, bad connection or bad card reader.  They can also get corrupted by a bad hard disk.

have.a.nice.day wrote:

… my files cant be corrupt if its the original image taken from the camera?…

Yes they can.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Please upload one of the files that doesn't work to www.yousendit.com, email yourself the download link, and post that link, here, so others can try.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

have.a.nice.day wrote:

i dont understand how it can be corrupt…

The fact that you don't understand something is no guarantee that it can't be true, Jackie.  

have.a.nice.day wrote:

…it was only brand new october last year....the whole camera was and the sd card. ive never put it in a card reader…

That could even be the root of your problems.  By not using a card reader you're putting repeated stress on the cable connection and on the cable itself.  Using a card reader is basic advice.

Your card could have gone bad anytime, as can your hard disk.  There are too many imponderables involved in this process.

Note that no one is saying categorically that your files are corrupt without being able to examine one of those files.  What we're telling you is that if you really have followed instructions to the letter and if you don't have a bad install, then the only possibility left is that your files are corrupted.

There's always the possibility that PEBKAC, of course.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 27, 2011 12:00 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

If your JPEGs all look fine and Photoshop just won't deal with any of the raw files, I'd say I agree:  It most likely sounds like a software problem, not a hardware problem.

If it is hardware, however unlikely, I doubt it's a cable problem, but it is possible the Compact Flash card could be bad.  They don't cost much to replace, and even if you buy another one and the problem is not solved, then you'll have some spare storage.

And there's nothing at all wrong in general with using a USB cable to upload your images to your computer, though I'm less confident that a Mac won't corrupt the data as I only use PCs.  Tai Lao is a Mac user.

I'll reiterate the above request to put one of the files online so others can look at it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to Tai Lao

It's spelled PBKAC, without an E.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pbkac

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 27, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Guys, it can be spelled either way and it's rather rude either way.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 12:39 PM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

It's spelled PBKAC, without an E.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pbkac

Problem EXISTS between…

I don't like your source; I like any one of these better:

CLICK HERE.

Anyway, you have to insert a vowel between the P and the B in order to pronounce it. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 12:50 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

I guess my brain is trying to conserve neurons at this stage and I only remembered the shorter version, although the one with the E is much more popular, judging by the relative number of Google hits for each.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 8:29 PM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

For the .CR2 file you uploaded, Photoshop CS5 Extended with Camera RAW 6.4.1 (released this month) says the camera model is not supported--the is the sort of error message you are getting.

More importantly, the .CR2 file is corrupted according to Canon's own Digital Photo Professional, which you can download from Canon or install from the CD that may have come with your camera.

In DPP:

Doing a File / Info says "The image is corrupted"

Doing a File / Convert and save... (to JPG) tries for a while and then aborts with "Decoding Failed" in the error log area and the main DPP Editor hangs and has to be End-Tasked.

Use a different SD card.  Format it in the camera, Low-Level it if you can, and use a card-reader to get the images off the card, not the camera.  It is also possible there is some firmware update that needs to be applied to the camera.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2011 9:42 PM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Yes, I can also report that all raw converters I tried on my Mac report the raw data in that file is corrupted.

File Juicer was able to extract the in-camera embedded preview, a 1936 x 1268 pixel untagged JPEG:

_MG_6825-1.jpg

II*    

Canon Canon EOS 1000D                 H     H     2011:05:23 12:15:31                                0221ê                

03 03 03       0100†   

2011:05:23 12:15:31 2011:05:23 12:15:31            

Canon EOS 1000D Firmware Version 1.0.7

1.0.7 6D

18-200mm

18-200mm

Pgd4!""" fUp

r Vr3-3 r Vr3-3 qXrd

dHMNUV]^efpxxxxxHpHh`h`h`p`p`p`php`hxpxHpHpH`hX`

cp`p`p`p`php

@@@@@@@@@ .D.9J67 @8$E@@@@@@

Pgd4!P gd4!T gd4!P gd4!P gd4!T gd4!P gd4!P gd4!T gd4!P gd4!P gd4!T gd4!P gd4!P gd4!T gd4!P gd4!P gd4!T

""" """

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2011 1:24 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Your camera is the least likely suspect, although it could be the culprit.  I'd suspect the memory card first, then the cable, the USB connectors, bad RAM and your hard disk, in that order.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 28, 2011 7:24 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

That file is only 2.7 megabytes.  Raw files are usually larger.  That likely means it's truncated (cut off prematurely).

You haven't selected one of the modes called sRAW (Small Raw) have you?

Like Tai Lao, I was able to extract a JPEG, and the EXIF data for the JPEG seems to be intact:

Filename - _MG_6825.CR2
    ImageWidth - 1936
    ImageLength - 1288
    BitsPerSample - 8 8 8
    Compression - 6 (JPG)
    Make - Canon
    Model - Canon EOS 1000D
    StripOffset - 42212
    Orientation - Top left
    StripByteCount - 228990
    XResolution - 72
    YResolution - 72
    ResolutionUnit - Inch
    DateTime - 2011:05:23 12:15:31
    ExifOffset - 270
    ExposureTime - 1/4000 seconds
    FNumber - 5.60
    ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
    ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
    ExifVersion - 0221
    DateTimeOriginal - 2011:05:23 12:15:31
    DateTimeDigitized - 2011:05:23 12:15:31
    ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
    ShutterSpeedValue - 1/4096 seconds
    ApertureValue - F 5.66
    ExposureBiasValue - -2
    MeteringMode - Multi-segment
    Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
    FocalLength - 115 mm
    UserComment -
    SubsecTime - 03
    SubsecTimeOriginal - 03
    SubsecTimeDigitized - 03
    FlashPixVersion - 0100
    ColorSpace - Unknown (0xFFFFFFFF)
    ExifImageWidth - 3888
    ExifImageHeight - 2592
    InteroperabilityOffset - 37768
    FocalPlaneXResolution - 4438.36
    FocalPlaneYResolution - 4445.97
    FocalPlaneResolutionUnit - Inch
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Auto
    White Balance - Manual
    SceneCaptureType - Standard

Maker Note (Vendor): -
    Macro mode - Normal
    Self timer - Off
    Quality - RAW
    Flash mode - Not fired
    Sequence mode - Single or Timer
    Focus mode - One-Shot
    Image size - Large
    Easy shooting mode - Manual
    Digital zoom - None
    Contrast - Normal
    Saturation - Normal
    Sharpness - Low , -32769
    ISO Value - 32767
    Metering mode - Evaluative
    Focus type - Auto
    AF point selected -
    Exposure mode - Av-priority
    Focal length - 18 - 200 mm (1 mm)
    Flash activity - Not fired
    Flash details -
    Focus mode 2 - 65535
    Auto ISO - 100
    Base ISO - 1600
    White Balance - Sunny
    Sequence number - 0
    Flash bias - 0 EV
    Subject Distance - 0
    Image Type - Canon EOS 1000D
    Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.0.7
    Owner Name -
    Camera Serial Number - 2950600230 (AFDE38438)
    Camera Temperature - 17 C
    Sharpness (1D) - 0
    Directory index (450D) - 142
    File index (450D) - 1
    File number - 000 - 0000
    Sharpness (A0) - 0

Thumbnail: -
    JpegIFOffset - 38124
    JpegIFByteCount - 4087

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2011 8:21 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with a brandnew canond 60D.

I can't open the raw files (.cr2) with Photoshop CS4 with all the plugins installed, I can´t convert the raw files to dng with the Converter.

What to do?? Did you manage to get a solution for this?

I tried everything, changind usb, changing sd cards, different sizes of RAw, taking the files from the camera, taking the files from a card reader, whate else?

Should I upgrade to CS5..only solution?

Thanks for your support

Rocio

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2011 8:23 AM   in reply to Colibri11

or my files are corrupted too?

stange, eh? New camera!

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2011 8:54 AM   in reply to Colibri11

An old DNG Converter cannot update newer files.  You need to update your DNG Converter to the latest version via the dropdown at the top of www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2011 9:11 AM   in reply to ssprengel

So I need to upgrade to CS5 then? Not funny

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Colibri11

The DNG Converter and CS5 are not the same thing.

You need to update your DNG Converter to the newest version, then use it to convert your CR2s to DNGs and they will open in older versions of PS/ACR.

If you don't want to do this, then yes, you’d need to upgrade to CS5's PS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 30, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to Colibri11

SSprengel is right.

Here's the situation you face, in summary form.  Pick one of the following two:

Use the Latest Free DNG converter.

All Your Current Capabilities, Extra Step for You To Perform.  $0.00

You can download the latest Adobe DNG converter, which knows about the raw files your new camera produces and can convert them to DNG files your older version of Photoshop can open via the Camera Raw plug-in.  This is not as integrated an approach as using all new software to go with your all-new camera, but it DOES make it possible for you to use your brand new camera in Raw mode and get exactly the same functionality out of your old Photoshop that you always did.

Upgrade to Photoshop CS5

New CS5 Capabilities, Full Integration, More Convnenience.  A few hundred bucks.

You can upgrade your Photoshop to the latest version, in which Camera Raw knows about the raw files your new camera produces and can open them directly.  This gives you maximum integration with Bridge and opening Raw files directly.  And you get the new 2010 process for converting Raw files and new Photoshop CS5 features.

Colibri11 wrote:

Not funny

You spent money to get a new camera that gives you new capabilities.  Why would it come as a surprise that if you want full software integration you'd have to spend some money (FAR less than the cost of your new camera I might add) to upgrade Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 9:28 AM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

Can you please send me your system info? Launch Photoshop>Help>System Info>Copy and paste into an email and send it to aohlmeye@adobe.com. Can you also launch the DNG converter >about and check the version there, please?If you could also send me one of your CR2 files out of camera, that will be great.Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2011 5:22 PM   in reply to have.a.nice.day

I'm sorry this is coming late, but in the interest of other 1000d owners that encounter the same problem you have, It seems that that provided you were shooting Raw + jpg there is a possible bug that will produce corrupt RAW files if you transfer them using the camera. Symptoms are that the RAW files are about the same size as the jpg-files when you have imported them. This happened to me.

The solution is to use a RAW-compatible card reader to transfer with or for the future to shoot only in RAW.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 26, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to mik_bys

Yes, that's a very old driver bug that Microsoft said was Canon's problem, and Canon said was Microsoft's problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2011 10:41 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

OK. noted. But as the OP is clearly using a Mac, I don't see it as fully relevant. As I see it personally it's in Canon's interest that their products work on the platforms their buyers want to use.

Also, considering that RAW import is something Adobe control via Camera Raw, I can't but help to feel their communication with Canon and here in this very doscission as all the others concerning the same thing someone working for Adobe who is posting here in the forums about these matters could have mentioned this bug years ago. Not to mention have worked it out with Canon, so that Adobe products would work fully with the 1000d camera that Camera Raw is officially supporting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points