Skip navigation
Optar
Currently Being Moderated

PAL DVD to NTSC DVD CS5

May 25, 2011 2:34 AM

I`m using CS5 Production premium and I have edit movie (1440x1080 25fps 1,3333). Pal DVD and blu-ray is ready, but now I need to make Nort American festifal copy NTSC DVD and Blu-ray. Is that so simple that I took squence to media encoder and pick up Format: MPEG2-DVD Present: NTSC 23,976p widescreen and after that I open NTSC project on  Encore and burn DVD. Same thing with Blu-ray? I make test clip this way and it`s look fine VLC player, but I can`t test DVD or Blu-ray because I don`t have pure NTSC stand alone player. Does anyone know this issue? I don`t want to send copy that is not working

properly.  Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2011 5:42 AM   in reply to Optar

Most standalone PAL dvd players have a NTSC setting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 6:30 AM   in reply to Optar

In PAL countries, one can play both NTSC and PAL disks. In NTSC countries, one NEEDS NTSC disks. PAL will not play. That means you have to convert your PAL material to NTSC for use in the USA. In the past Procoder was a popular choice to achieve that. You can try if AME delivers a conversion that meets your quality demands. If not, then have a look at Canopus Procoder.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

The problem, as I understand it, is that the poster has no way to test the quality of the conversion on a real NTSC/ATSC set.  He'd have to ship a copy of the DVD/Blu-ray to someone in America and trust their opinion on the quality.

I have the same issue with PAL disks.  I can make them, but have no way to QC them.  I can only trust the client to let me know how it looks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 9:03 AM   in reply to Optar

Well if you set your DVD player to NTSC you will see if it looks ok.

If you play ntsc dvd on a dvd player set to pal which you can, the dvd looks awfull.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 10:36 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

But even played on a PAL player which can handle NTSC disks, you're still seeing it on a PAL TV.  The signal get's converted before output.  He needs an NTSC display, as well as an NTSC player, for accurate NTSC viewing.  And NTSC sets generally don't work on Europe's 50Hz electrical system just like PAL sets don't work on America's 60 Hz system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Unless you have a switchable monitor that can be set to NTSC.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Yeah.  I'm assuming those are not the norm when it comes to households, though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points