Skip navigation
always forever weddings
Currently Being Moderated

Crop Tool in  CS5

May 31, 2011 7:46 AM

Recently my crop tool has a mind of its own.  When I select crop, it sometimes makes a rotated selection, sometimes it selects as a triange, sometimes it not straight and slightly turned. Then it will select correctly for a few times and start back again.  And when I put in exact measurements, it is a nightmare.  It is taking me three times as long to work on an order.  And the other problem I noticed is that when I try to drag an image in Photoshop, I get nothing or the wrong image.  This just started a week ago.  Prior to that everything was fine.

I have gone through every selection I could think of.  I even changed the batteries in my mouse.  Getting in and out does not help either.  I have a PC.  Can anyone tell me what I selected so I can resolve this issue?  HELP PLEASE!!!

Donna

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 31, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to always forever weddings

One good possibility:  Check to see if your display driver can be updated to a newer version via a download from the web site of the maker of your video card.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2011 10:38 AM   in reply to always forever weddings

Its simple  My guess is you an Nvidia Graphics Card display drivers make them able to improve resolution amoing other things.

Microsoft just released a new one a few days ago. A good bet with your problem.

Go to each step-step  by step

Left click (some may take double clicks

1-Control Panel

2-Device Manager

3-Display Adapters

4-Drivers

5-Roll Back Drivers

This automatically rolls back the drivers to the privous one. They were stable from your explination Its a good and easy place to start

When completed-reboot

That should get you back to stable Photoshop.

You have just reset your display drivers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 1, 2011 1:36 PM   in reply to always forever weddings

always forever weddings wrote:

So I installed updates to my driver

I suggested updating your driver, yes, but not the way you did it.  The drivers you load that way - from Microsoft Hardware Quality Labs - are almost always out of date and bug-ridden.

When you can't stand it any more just ask and I'll be here to help you learn the right way to get updated drivers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 1, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to always forever weddings

Bug-ridden doesn't mean "with virus".  Don't worry; Microsoft doesn't provide virus-laden drivers.  The term "bug" means "error".

Since you haven't told us what version of Windows you're running, I'll make the instructions more general:

Here's what you do:

1.  Go to this site:

http://www.amd.com/us/pages/amdhomepage.aspx

2.  Click on the Find a Driver link near the upper-right of the page.

3.  Choose Desktop Graphics, Radeon HD Series, Radeon HD 5xxx Series PCIe, enter your operating system, then press View Results>>.

ATI.jpg

4.  The above will take you to a page where you can download a package called Catalyst Software Suite 11.5.  Hit the [ Download ] button.

5.  When prompted, you want to Run the downloaded installer.

6.  Follow the on-screen instructions to install Catalyst 11.5.

7.  It may not prompt you to reboot, but do so after completing the installer anyway.

I can't guarantee this will correct the problem you're having - for all I know you may have a bad mouse - but Catalyst 11.5 is a known good set of drivers (that is the version I run with my Radeon HD 5670 card).  If after having installed Catalyst 11.5, if the problem isn't fixed for you, please post again and we can do further diagnosis here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 1, 2011 2:19 PM   in reply to always forever weddings

The instructions above are equally valid for all versions of Windows.

Windows 7 is what I'm using as well without problems, so that's an additional indication that Catalyst 11.5 will be a good driver set for you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points