Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What the best approach to colour matching clips?

May 31, 2011 1:06 PM

I'm trying to colour match clips which have been shot of the same person in the same scene with different cameras. Even though they were all manually white balanced at the start their different characteristics show! The subject is wearing a red shirt and working with orange objects. The disparity in colour (and brightness, and contrast) is obvious.

I started off using the reference monitor and  vectorscope and waveform, but then wanted to be able to have two vectorscopes open at the same time for the "correct" clip and the one I was trying to match it to. I wanted to use one vectorscope as "reference" and use the fast colour corrector to adjust the other clip by looking at its vectorscope. But it doesn't seem that it's possible. Is it?

But while searching for "reference monitor" in the Community Help I came across this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSCB566F37-A8BA-4b43- 8BD2-B6467AAE930E.html

Which talks about the color matching filter. However, I don't see this color matching filter in my effects panel, and don't think I have since CS4 or even earlier. Has something directly replaced it?

I've been struggling to find a tutorial on this: most refer to using the colour match effect. Anyone noticed a relevant tutorial? Or would like to take the time to give me instruction?

Thanks!

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2011 1:51 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

The Color Match effect went out the door with CS5.

You might want to look at this to get a certain colors adjusted.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-karl-soule/using-the-3way- coco-as-a-secondary-color-corrector/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

I started off using the reference monitor and  vectorscope and waveform, but then wanted to be able to have two vectorscopes open at the same time for the "correct" clip and the one I was trying to match it to. I wanted to use one vectorscope as "reference" and use the fast colour corrector to adjust the other clip by looking at its vectorscope. But it doesn't seem that it's possible. Is it?

Is this still not possible in cs6? 

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

Open up your 'correct' clip in the Source Monitor and set the Output to whatever you like (e.g. to Vectorscope). Switch your workspace to Color Correction layout, and you'll get the Source Monitor, the Program Monitor and the Reference Monitor at hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

Not sure I follow you...

How many monitors you eventually want to get opened and with which Output?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

Normally I never read first posts and type something odd in the rush - that's my style.

However, if you need 3 (or even 4) monitors opened: one for the 'correct' clip Vectorscope, one for Vectorscope of the clip you're currently grading and one for the Composite Video of this clip, - I don't see anything that would prevent you from getting that.

Sorry for bothering you.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Mark Morreau

FWIW:  I have never seen dual vectorscopes in any CC Suite I have ever been in and  never seen a colorist actually grade off the vectorscope.  (only seen them  used for set up , monitoring and QC checking)

I cant imagine how it would significantly  help in your situation because you still have to get your hands on the  correct "controls" to make the adjustments and the units in a vectorscope dont relate much to the controls.

If you can do that..you may as well  CC "visually" to the image

Secondaries are the key to what you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 3:06 AM   in reply to Mark Morreau

PrPro. Several Monitors 04.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers