Skip navigation

Problems with Indesign 5.5 (plugins)

Jun 4, 2011 7:59 AM

Latest reply: meloop, Mar 18, 2014 10:28 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to PollyPockets

This is totally nuts. I also face the same issue. They should have said that InDesign files are not backward compatible. Instead of telling me that some plugin is missing, Adobe should have simply said file version incompatible. This is Crazy Insane.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Lian Tombing

You must be a newish user. This is the same stupid and misleading (but apparently technically correct based on how ID checks versioning) error message that's been used for at least the last 4 versions. I think the error message has finally been changed in CS6, but since there are so far no CS6.5 file available you won't see it for awhile.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think the error message has finally been changed in CS6, but since there are so far no CS6.5 file available you won't see it for awhile.

Actually, the maintenance release of CS5.5 (7.5.3.333) last month backported this fix. So you'll see this opening a CS6 file in the current update of CS5.5:

Screen Shot 2012-06-03 at 14.52.53 .png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually have been using the product back from when it was Pagemaker – but was the solo user in the office until this year so this is the first time I have encountered any issues.  But now I know!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Wiltonhouse

InDesign was never Pagemaker.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I stand corrected – I started on Pagemaker and moved to InDesign which would still open pagemaker.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Wiltonhouse

Wiltonhouse wrote:

Actually have been using the product back from when it was Pagemaker – but was the solo user in the office until this year so this is the first time I have encountered any issues.  But now I know!

My comment about being a newish user was directed at Lian Tombing, but your comment about being a solo user makes some sense. If you never open a file provided by someone else the odds that you'll ever see a file saved in a newer version than you have installed are a lot smaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well, I have been using InDesign since the CS2 days. But was not catching

up with the versions. Exporting it to IDML file solves our problem

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Lian Tombing

Certainly didn't mean to offend anyone (and the smiley was supposed to make that clear). My apologies for any misunderstandings.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

It’s all good here! No offense taken.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Dear Peter,

I have 2 files which I think these are newer files. Can you open these files and save them as Indesign 5.0?

greets,

Marius

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to Marius de Vries

I just sent you an upload link...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

So. I've read through this thread, and what I've gathered is that there is no possible way to open a CS5.5 document in CS4, correct? I have a client who sent me a CS5.5 document, but I'm getting error messages, and can't open it in my CS4. Help?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 12, 2012 1:45 AM   in reply to lucka2k

If you're dealing with client documents, you probably need to keep some semblance of currency. CS4 is long in the tooth at this point, as is CS5. You can ask your client to export the file in IDML format, and then you can read that in CS4. Alternatively, you can download the CS5.5 (or CS6) free trial and do this export yourself. Or you can supply your document to one of us here and we can do the converstion to IDML for you.

Note that new features won't be rendered properly and there is always a substantial chance of text reflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob,

I'm having a similar problem maybe you could help with? I have a (large) file that was created on a trial version of either CS5.5 or CS6 - the file is labeled as a CS5.5 on the desktop icon. I have tried to open it since then with both CS5.5 (full version) and CS6 (trial version) and get a similar plugin error for both. I have tried uploading the file to adobe creative cloud and am able to view it, which makes me think it's not the file itself that's corrupt...but not sure. Can you shed any light?

-Kristen

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to kschlott123

What plugin error are you getting?

See Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File for a script tha can identify the version for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am having a similar issue. This document was created on CS5.5 and we are attempting to access it on the same version and are having the issues listed below.

Upon opening, it says

"Missing Plug-ins

SMD Jobs Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin

SMD Imposition Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin"

! The document "Northside..." uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system. We strongly advise you not to open the document. Do you want to open anyway?

When I go to package the document, this shows up:

"This document cannot be packaged due to missing plug-ins. Please install or activate these plug-ins: SMD Jobs Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin; SMD Imposition Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin."

Computer information:
    Windows 7 Professional, 2009

Service Pack 1

Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz

4G Ram, 64 bit

Adobe InDesign CS5.5

Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to SLBRadioTech

Your case sounds like the file was created using some third-party plugin(s). If the file willactually open without them, you can export to .idml to remove the plugin info, then resave that as a new .indd.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks! Gonna give that a try and get back to y'all!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2014 10:17 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I am having the same issue and I tried this and it didn't work.  I can now only open the file by opening InDesign>new>template and then I find the document and it opens after a series of pop ups saying that I am missing plugins. If you know of anything else that may help I would greatly appreciate it!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2014 10:28 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I take it back I restarted everything and tried again and it worked! thanks so much!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points