Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro Project Manager does NOT include After Effects files.

Jun 4, 2011 1:17 PM

Warning: Premiere Pro "Project Manager" does NOT include the After Effects 'dynamic linked composition' files associated with the project when "Collect File and Copy to New Location" resulting in the incomplete and loss of all dynamic linked compositions in the new project destination ( folder or disc drive ) .. I know this also includes Photoshop dynamic links and assume includes Audition audio files as well.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 10, 2011 5:40 AM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

A good reason to use a proper file manager for file operations on disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2011 7:57 PM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

Here's the best way: Personal Responsibility.

Put all of your project files in one file. Stop asking PPro to do it for you. It's simple. This is a no-brainer. If you create a linked comp, create it in the same file as your PPro project and files. When you send it to Encore, create the Encore project in the same folder. Works all the time, every time. When you're sure that you're finished with the project for the forseeable future, move the entire folder off your workstation into storage. Do I move a copy of each asset (video clip, image, audio, etc.) into this folder before I import it to my AE or PPro project? Yes I do. Is it overly time-consuming? Not really. I can fly on my machine. Does it beat not being able to open a project later. Oh yes. Yes it does. I'd say I did 50 projects last year this way. When I occasionally had to move a project folder back to the workstation, I had no problems. Everything worked as it did before I off-loaded it. That's because I take personal responsibility for my projects. It's imporatnat that theyt work, especially if I end up having to hand it off to a third party down the road.

BTW, my workstation is RAID 0. If you are using anything less, you need to upgrade. What I'm trying to tell you is that my system works very well. I have not always done things the right way. I have had my share of frustration. The point is that I learned. Now I'm passing that on to you. I use CS5 on an HP Z800 with a measely 12 gigs of ram and a single i7 quad core and the aforementioned RAID 0 configuration and a hacked Nvidia GTS 450. It works quite well. I'm sure I would do even better with another i7, 12 more gigs of ram and a Quadro 4000, but this is what they give me to use.

Additionally, I'm using CS5 at home on a MUCH older HP xw8200 dual dual Xeons, 12 gigs of ram and software-only MPE. Guess what? It works quite well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2011 9:03 PM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

I have also pretty much given up on dynamic-linking significantly layered AE comps as PPro just chokes on em. It takes as much time to render em on a PPro timeline as it does to simply render em from AE.  If they need tweeking, I just bite the bullet, go back to AE and keep on keepin on.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 11:36 PM   in reply to Stan Arthur

Just wondering as a new PrPro user if this is still an ongoing issue with CS6?

Obviously good file management is critical when building a project but there is a time and place for a COMPREHENSIVE project asset collect. In the case of a current job I'm backing up the total project size is about 10TB. To restore that in entirety from LTO would take me the better part of a fortnight, a little tedious if I just need to make a few edit changes to a couple of the sequences. With this in mind I consider it good practice on large projects to also media manage the finished timelines into a separate set of self-contained folders. It's kind of annoying that the AE elements used don't get bundled up in the project. Any word on this being fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

I feel like this would be a simple issue to resolve. Seems fairly obvious that Premiere's Project Manager should be able to understand that those AE project files are being used in the timeline. It's not a particularly difficult fix though, after the project manage finishes all you need to do is copy the AE files over to the same directory and relink PRESTO! Still should be automatic. Any idea if this is being addressed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

there is a time and place for a COMPREHENSIVE project asset collect.

It's not about when or where, it's about what tool you use to do the work.  If you want to move, copy or rename files, use a file manager, not an NLE.

Works every time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points