Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Files Panel - How to get folders to list first?

Jun 6, 2011 9:05 PM

First a little history.  I have used DW CS3 on a Windows XP computer for a while and have just bought a MacBook Pro laptop with DreamWeaver CS5 on it.  In CS3 in the Files Panel, the folders are listed first and then the files and all of that in alphabetical order.  But on CS5, it just list everything in alphabetical order and doesn't list the folders first.  I have looked at a bunch of CS5 manuals online but can't find how I can change it.  I know I can click at the top and change everything from ascending to descending but that isn't what I want.  Can someone tell me how I can change it?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2011 7:18 AM   in reply to FredFogg

FredFogg wrote:

First a little history.  I have used DW CS3 on a Windows XP computer for a while and have just bought a MacBook Pro laptop with DreamWeaver CS5 on it.  In CS3 in the Files Panel, the folders are listed first and then the files and all of that in alphabetical order.  But on CS5, it just list everything in alphabetical order and doesn't list the folders first.

If you're used to the Windows way of doing things, you'll find that Macs do many things differently, and not always in a better way (at least that's my experience). Displaying everything in alphabetical order is apparently the Mac way of organizing files and folders. Drives me mad, but Mac afficionados seem to like it.

However, changing the order of items in the Files panel is quite easy. Scroll to the right in the panel. You should see a column with the heading Type. Click the top of that column to change the order in which file types are displayed. Folders should then be displayed at the top of the panel. If they end up at the bottom, just click it again to toggle the order.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2011 1:48 PM   in reply to FredFogg

Any chance of posting a screenshot of what you do have?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to FredFogg

I don't have the column titled "Type" either.  Has anyone solved this?  I would like to have folders listed first instead of alphabetically.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to idesdema

Ah yes... I do have the column titled "Type".  I did a little more googling and found an answer in a DW CS4 forum.  Thank you to David Powers.  You have to pull the vertical divider far enough over to the right for the option "Type" to display.  Then you can sort it and get the folders listed first instead of alphabetically.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to idesdema

You can also get folders listed first by naming them with a leading punctuation - I always use an underscore, e.g.,

_img

_css

_js

etc.

That way you can sort by filename and your folders STILL appear on top.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to idesdema

Just realized something extra annoying.  You can sort by type, but then the files underneath the folders are ordered in reverse alphabetical order.  WTF Mac and DW????

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Unless of course you have certain files with underscores.  Which is the case for me.  This isn't a good solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to FredFogg

I know this response is a few years late however I too just purchased a Macbook Pro (recent convert from windows) and found the folder/file ordering both within Mac Finder and in Dreamweaver to be rather annoying (at least for me anyway).  I'm really posting this for anyone in the future who runs into this problem as it has bothered me non stop since the day (about 4 months ago now) I bought the mac. After googling for days I found a fix for the Mac Finder program but nothing for Dreamweaver.  Then it hit me... perhaps the fix for Mac Finder could be applicable for Dreamweaver. 

For more information on how to fix the Mac Finder Folder Ordering visit:

http://www.howtogeek.com/67100/force-your-mac-to-put-folders-on-top-of -files-windows-style/

Follow the steps below to get the folders to appear first in Dreamweaver for Mac; please keep in mind I was able to fix the issue for my current enviornment which is... Macbook Pro 15" with Mountain Lion running Dreamweaver CS6. I DON"T KNOW if this fix will work for any other eniovrments so please use caution and always have a good backup of your system (just a disclaimer)

Step One: Open Finder (or equivelent file browser) and browse to: /Applications/Adobe Dreamweaver CS6/

Step Two: CRTL Click (Right Click) the Adobe Dreamweaver CS6.app file and select "SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS"

Step Three: Continue to browse to: /Contents/Resources/en.lproj/ and open the file named "Localizable.strings" using TextWrangler or another text editor of your choice.

Step Four: With the Localizable.Strings file open, scroll down to line 1384, for search for the folling text: /* IDS_SITE_DIRECTORY */

Step Five: Update the following:

/* IDS_SITE_DIRECTORY */

"7161" = "Folder";

Change to...

/* IDS_SITE_DIRECTORY */

"7161" = " Folder";

I know.. they look identical but they are NOT! Pay VERY close attention to the second line... you will see a "space" directly in front of  the "Folder" so it should read....  "7161" = " Folder";

Step Six: Save your changes

Step Seven: Quit Dreamweaver if needed

Step Eight: Relaunch Dreamweaver sort your files by "Type". For more information on how to sort your files by type read the other replies to this post.

Step Nine: Rejoice as your folders will appear first sorted alphabetically with files below/within also sorted alphatecially.

This solution does not require any file or folder renaming. Hope this post helps others like me who found Mac's folder/file ordering to be less than desirable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 5:53 PM   in reply to centuron

"Step Eight: Relaunch Dreamweaver sort your files by "Type". For more information on how to sort your files by type read the other replies to this post."

That works whether or not you make any changes to the .strings file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 7:19 PM   in reply to Mike M

Very true. that does work however, when you click the TYPE column header to sort by that column, it does sort by type, however what would occur if you had a coldfusion CFC file, or any other file type for instance an ASPX file? Since CFC and ASPX come before "FOLDER" when listed alphabetically it would list the filname.cfc or filename.aspx first then folders below those files therefore not providing the solution to have FOLDERs appear at the top above all other files.

The expected behavior for us Windows converts is folders first sorted alphabetically, then files below which are also sorted alphabetically. Additionally, if there are folders or files within the root folders, the folders should appear on top within the root or parent folder with the files sorted alphabetically below the sub-folders within that directory.

By only clicking on the TYPE column it does not offer the expected behavior.  Thanks for the reply though!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to centuron

I think the Adobe Dreamweaver team should be the group that comes up with a solution. Now that I'm used to it, I use a new file and folder naming scheme to work around this. But yes, its very annoying. Especially when first using a Mac after being used to Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 8:47 PM   in reply to idesdema

idesdema wrote:

I think the Adobe Dreamweaver team should be the group that comes up with a solution. Now that I'm used to it, I use a new file and folder naming scheme to work around this. But yes, its very annoying. Especially when first using a Mac after being used to Windows.

The "problem" isn't with Dreamweaver, but the way Mac OSX HFS files system orders things. They CAN'T change that. February made ten years since I swtiched to Mac, and although I still use Windows nearly as much, there are so many things Mac does better, faster and just plain more sensibly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 8:56 PM   in reply to Mike M

Yes there is plenty to like about Macs. Mine has grown on me quite a bit. And like I said there are workarounds for the DW file sorting so I'm already over it. When I first switched it drove me bonkers. Growing pains.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points