• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100% proper way to take 720p 60fps intended for 1080p24 and slow it down/convert?

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gang, so far I have found at least foour methods to do this, not to mention many more that are variations on those methods. But I am not getting smooth playback. Clearly I am not doing this right.

Some say use Premiere Pro. Some say After Effects.

What is the correct way to get that amazing smooth slow motion effect? I have a variety of clips shot with a Canon 7D in 720p 60fps. I want them playing back at 24fps slow motion and obviously upconverted to 1080p to match the 1080p 24 footage.

There is certainly a tutoiral somewhere on Adobe's website (or elsewhere) and I would love to see it.

Thanks in advance. You guys have always been able to point me in the right direction.

EDIT: I have discovered this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPDRMj-jco

But I cannot figure out how to save it as. What type/format? Should I make it an AVI so it is not recompressed? or keep it as H.264 since that is what DSLR footage is? I cannot find any of these answers anywhere.

When I try to do this and render as an AVI and it finishes, where is my file? I tell it to go into a folder, but it isn't there. God, I am frustrated. Once again I don't get why there are not some basic instructions for beginners out there on this stuff. I've spent al lday on this and gotten nowhere.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The larger issue is the frame size here.  A simple Interpret Footage command on the 60 fps media changed to 24 fps will give the slo-mo.  But you still have a smaller frame than 1920 x 1080 to deal with.  Upscaling is not the best way to go.  You may want to consider editing in a 720p/24 sequence, and downscaling the 1080 stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to remain at 1080p 24fps. I have seen countless shorts shot with DSLR that have 720p 60fps footage converted/slowed down to 24 and integrated. Looked just fine.

Also, when I do interpert, the results is footage that doesn't look perfectly smooth like I am seing from examples converted with After Effects.

The problem for me is I am a complete beginner. So I can read and watch videos all day or all week long and if I cannot come across what it is I am looking for, I'm going to remain stuck. It doesn't help that I read so much conflicting information.

As I type this After Effects is opened, my footage is rendered to 24 fps and I cannot figure out how to save it as a file I can use. I'm just stuck and I hate feeling stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

msp1518

Use Premiere Pro to do it

Import your 60fps clips into Premiere

then right click on the clip

Choose modify

then choose Interpret Footage...

then type the frame rate you want in the dialog box titled "Assume the frame rate is"

drag the clip to the timeline and you will playback in slow motion

I would reccomend rendering the clip so the playback is smooth, but otherwise everthing should work out fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do i have to do this for every clip? i thought premiere would have a way to do it faster....since FCP7 was conforming on cinema tools one by one , is there a way to do it as a batch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines