Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSD Thumbnails in Windows 7, SOME SHOW UP!?!!

Jun 8, 2011 10:47 AM

If someone could help me with this, I'd be ever so grateful!

With Windows Vista and Windows 7 now, I do not get thumbnail previews of the .psd files when viewing the files in the standard windows.  I've come to accept this.  But, when I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Bridge CS5 (and Elements 9 if that matters), SOME of the .psd thumbnails show up in Windows 7 and others do not...and I have no idea why some do and others don't and it's driving me crazy!  Please, does anyone know what's happening, why some are showing up?  I will attached a screen shot below.  Thank you! (Note: I haven't added any extra software or third-party software to make this happen.)

screen-shot.jpg

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 8, 2011 11:28 AM   in reply to hdbrew

I'll make a wild guess that that file is a JPEG saved with the wrong extension.

There is no 64 bit codec provided with any Adobe software that generates PSD file thumbnails.  There were some very old codecs provided for 32 bit Explorer operation with old versions of Photoshop, but none are provided with any recent versions.

A good 3rd party package that really works well for not only PSD files, but also raw files from virtually all the modern cameras, is the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.  It's inexpensive and really adds to the integration in the Windows environment.

FPV_FileOpenDialog.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 8, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to hdbrew

Is it Windows 7 32 bit?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 8, 2011 1:27 PM   in reply to hdbrew

Might be interesting to list the codecs you have installed to see if any could be interpreting the PSD format...

There's a good tool for doing that called AutoRuns and it's available here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

I'm not sure exactly where to tell you to look, but with the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack I see all the entries as decoders in the Everything tab, under a couple of Class IDs with Instance subkeys...

FPVCodecs.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 8, 2011 1:34 PM   in reply to hdbrew

I'll start by saying I have a very powerful 8 core workstation, but from where I sit FPV Codec Pack doesn't get in the way of anything I can see, and it seems very quick to be able to bring up thumbnails for newly created files.  It's truly been a "set it and forget it" product.

My OS is Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2011 6:55 AM   in reply to hdbrew

try searching for sagethumbs ! worked for me , is free,, supports 32 n  64 bit windows 7,, i finally see all my thumbnails as xp used to, shame  on adobe and microsucks for never making this work!

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 25, 2011 1:50 PM   in reply to hdbrew

Are all PSD files save withthe  maximum compatability option?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 25, 2011 1:53 PM   in reply to JJMack

Old thread.

But I think I may know what happened...  Photoshop Elements may have provided a 32 bit codec that created and cached a thumbnail for the PSD file in question during a File - Open or File - Save operation.  Then 64 bit Windows Explorer saw the thumbnail in the cache.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points