Skip navigation
Help Me No Adobe
Currently Being Moderated

Searching Archive for Older Mac 10.4 (non Intel) Computer Lost Flash Player

Jun 15, 2011 12:58 AM

Hello Forum Users!

I'm sorry to bother you, but checked recent posts and knowledge base and cannot seem to find my problem listed.

Problem starts and ends with older Mac operating system (10.4.11, Yes, I am still using Tiger and my G4 is said not to be acceptable to Leopard so its time for new computer..but until then)....

I have only a 60 GB HD, and it was getting "full" so suggestion I received and someone helped me do it, was to eliminate all old "downloads" I was saving.

Fine....except that while I was cleaning up the older programs I "don't use"  to get more room on the Hard Drive (I had less than 10 GB free and Apples don't like that on their Journal Drives), I accidentally "erased" (then threw out as trash to get room) the  Adobe Flash Player.  Not a problem!  But now of course I remember that is "why" keep normally all "downloads" as files in case I do that....so no older download to use as my own archive.

Ok, not a problem!  Go to Adobe and download a new Flash Player (Of course I can't use 10.3 and all the others you keep referring to, as I don't have an "Intel" chip operating computer, so 10.4 is supported by newer Flash Players but only those using an Intel chip which my computer doesn't have.  (Lap top else I'd try all types of modificactions to work around the problem).

Sorry too many details, but rather let you know now than questions back and forth.

The final irony is that I know of Adobe's Archives and went "back in time" downloading and testing out various Flash Players (sorry, didn't pay attention so I did not ever have marked down which version of older Adobe worked with my 10.4.11).

So I tried all the 10.2's   10.0's  9's (even the developer ones)  I hit the 8's and realized that maybe I'm not doing something right as I do think if you are using 10.3 now, that 8 versions should have been usable according to the June 2010 system requirement lists.

For downloading I select Mac  "other"  as  my operating system since the current specificaitons for downloading list 10.4 to 10.6 as  "Intel" based.

Did I leave anything out?

I really need Adobe Flash Player as most of the web sites are just refusing to display anything but words for me, so just boring now on web without access to all the content that Flash Player provides.  (no more funny You tube videos either of course!).

Can anyone help me with my Adobe problem?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi, Well if I've done my homework, this should work for you:

Hi, That version of Flash Player is Archived: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html 

You will need to download the Flash Player 10.1 (81.7 MB) and SAVE it to your Desktop. Then you will find the 10.1.102.64 version for the Mac Platform. There is a readme file also.

Here are instructions from Apple Discussions:

*Flash Player for PPC Macs*
    Adobe's last release of Flash Player for PPC Macs was in November, 2010 with release 10.1.102.64 Subsequent releases are for Intel based Macs only. To update you should download:

Flash uninstaller: [http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#prob1=uninst,os=m10.6,] Make sure you get the right one.

Flash installer 10.1.102.64 [http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp 10.1.102.64_and_9.0.289.0archive.zip] Open the archive to reveal yet more archives and multiple files. Select: flashplayer101r102_64_ubmac.dmg

To install:

1) Run Disk Utility and verify your hard drive. If the hard drive reports errors then it will need repairing first (another topic). If it verifies, run Disk Utility's repair permissions.

Quit all applications to ensure nothing is actively using Flash.

Run the uninstaller application. Adobe says, "Adobe recommends that you restart your computer before you install a different version of the player."

Run the Installer
    Use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your computer. this is important when installing anything from Adobe.

7) Restart your computer.

You may not need these instructions, but I posted them if you do.

Hope that helps.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 2:46 AM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

I wouldn't worry too much why Flash Player is working, as long as it is working.

You can check what version you now have at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

P.S. regarding your limited disk space: CCleaner has been used by Windows users for many years to clean cr*p from their hard drivers (that's what the first C in CCleaner stands for).

Now I just wanted to tell you that CCleaner is now available for the Mac (http://www.piriform.com/mac) as a public beta, but I now noticed that only OS X 10.5  and 10.6 are supported - sorry!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi Help me....

No, I'm not an expert. I do research a lot and find things:-)  I'll try to reply to a couple of your issue. I don't see "Helpful solutions" unless you did a search the forums. If what I posted doesn't solve the problem for you, then I don't think anything else would.

I'm not sure which action you took that would have caused Flash Player to appear and be working. Sometimes there is a glitch that gets fixed and we may not know what fixed it. I wouldn't worry about it.

This Flash Player version 10.1.102.64 is the "latest" version that works on the PPC.

What you are most likely meaning is that addon Click-To-Flash. That keeps Flash content from displaying and when you want it, you click on that.

It is always recommended to repair permissions with Mac and I would do that.

Now, can you check and let me know what is the Version of Tiger? 

Also something that you can try to help the "choppy" is go to this site with Safari and Right click on the Flash Player logo(Red F).

Then click Settings, then Display Settings. UNcheck the box of hardware acceleration. See if that helps.

Whatever you did, I 'm glad it is working for you. I would wait until we see if your system can even use the Flash Player 10.1.102.64. I need to know the version of Tiger first to make sure you have Installed any updates that were available.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 8:32 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Have you actually used the FP uninstaller that eidnolb has provided earlier

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#ostype=m,prob1=uninst,os =m10.4 ?

This should really uninstall the Flash Player fragments that are left on your Mac.

After that you should be able to do a clean install of the archived Flash Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 9:53 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi, Thanks for letting me know that Tiger is up to date. I'm sure we have some info on Tiger, and I'll check.

Just a reminder that the Flash Player version that you have the zip file on your Desktop, is the "latest". We need to be sure that your Mac can run that version. That's what I'm concerned about. It could be that you need an earlier version. So I'll check on that.

It's a good idea to create as much free space as you can. So continue that if you're not done doing it.

If some Flash content is working and not others I'm assuming you are speaking of Websites? Remember that Click-To-Flash operates per website, not across the board. You have to Click it for each website that you want to view Flash content on.

Yes, I realize some removal procedures leave residue etc, but the Flash Player Uninstaller is for that. Pat has asked if you ran this Uninstaller link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#ostype=m,prob1=uninst,os =m10.4,

I know it says Leopard, but disregard that. The Uninstall method is the same. What I want you to pay particular attention to after following the instructions thru Step 8, is Step 9: Restart your browser. To verify that you uninstalled Flash Player, open your browser and return to this page. 
    If we detect Flash Player in your computer, the details appear  below.

In other words Adobe will detect if Flash Player is still on your System and a version number will be shown. By the same token if that is not shown, then the next part: If we don’t detect Flash Player in your computer, you see one of the following boxes. It should contain a message similar to the following ones. If you don't see a message, you have not uninstalled FlashPlayer. Repeat these steps. 
    If Flash Player has been successfully removed, then that is telling you what you need to do to Install it. However you want to use the Installer info I gave you in those first set of instructions.

All of this is to show you what message you will receive if FP is Uninstalled correctly, so you don't need to be concerned about "left overs".

Oh, print that info out so you have it. And the page you are to return to in Step 9 is here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Another thing, when going to that test site to see the Red F, you are to RIGHT click on it. This site:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

My only concern at this point is if your system meets the requirements for FP 10.1 for Tiger/Safari. By the way what version is Safari?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 10:23 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi, check this thread out. I would think if this person could use that 10.1.102.64, then you should be able to also. See what you think.  

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/812290?tstart=0

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi Help me ...Have Adobe now  Nothing like Success!!!  So glad you have it all sorted out and FP is working.

I appreciate your explanation of all of the steps you took. Helps me to understand and others that may see your thread. Many users still use the PPC edition(non-intel).

You can award points however you want, the important thing is that your thread will have it as answered. This always helps users that use the Search Forums function. I use it myself and look for the answered threads.

Thanks for the feedback!!

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 8:22 AM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Help Me No Adobe wrote:

Which answer fits the bill for "correct" answer? I"ll click on and award points however you both see fit (10 to best answer 5 to possible answers).

We are both not here for the points, but very happy that your problem got solved.

Eidnolb did much more in this topic to help you, so please use one of her replies to mark the topic as resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi Pat, that's very nice of you:-) I think we both added to this thread and others also. I've always viewed the point system as a way a user can show their appreciation for the help they have received.

We work pretty well together. I read some of your replies and think to myself, well I never would have thought of that

By the way, I had to look at your post time:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 6:35 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

No, marking a topic as answered or resolved will not lock the topic.  The only time a topic is locked is when a poster gets rude.  Fortunately this is very rare here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2011 9:06 PM   in reply to Help Me No Adobe

Hi again, Just finished reading your nice comments, thanks. Nice to hear your experience with "blondies" have been helpful:-)

Anyone that could have done all you did to get that PPC up and running with Flash Player, could not be a newbie I would venture a guess that you have some type of engineering background. I think you did a great job.

Pat has already replied to your question about the status of your thread after marking it answered. Thanks for doing that also.

I hope your PPC continues to work well for you. I have an older XP and have to treat it with loving care

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points