Skip navigation
fiddleflute
Currently Being Moderated

Preventing additional hyphenation of hyphenated compounds

Jun 15, 2011 4:27 AM

I would like to know if there is any way to prevent InDesign (CS2 in my case) from hyphenating one of a pair of words that are already hyphenated.

In other words, I would like to automatically prevent situations such as high-tem-perature, where the tem-perature is broken at the end of the line following the already hyphenated word pair.

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 15, 2011 4:37 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

In CS2 - you would have to select each word manually and Apply a "No Break"

http://indesignsecrets.com/keep-words-together-with-no-break.php

In CS3 You could find and replace all using GREP find and replace

Find

(?<=-).\w+

Change Forma to

No Break

In CS4 and Above you could add it into the Paragraph Style

In your paragarph style make go to GREP STYLE

Insert

<character style = no break>

(?<=-).\w+

I'd consider upgrading if this is going to be a constant battle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 5:26 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

fiddleflute wrote:

I can't be the only one - isn't this a standard typographical requirement?

Sure, hyphenating long words is a standard typographical requirement. The fact that before or after a long word, another one follows, with or without a hyphen, doesn't really matter. You probably should read more.

Honestly, there is nothing to worry about. InDesign does quite a lot of background calculations to come up with this breaking point; it certainly does not pick any breaking point at random. In other words, if InDesign designates this the best possible hyphenation point, that's a fact, and any manual fiddling can only make the spacing worse.

(Whether or not it's a reading-friendly breaking point is something quite else. You'll have to wait until reader-friendliness can be calculated before submitting it as a request to Adobe's programmers.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 5:49 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

If there was an automatic way I  would have posted it.

You can manually tweak the Hyphenation settings in the Paragraph Style options.

But what those settings would be would be a trial and error process.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 6:24 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

Ok I dusted off my typography book to get a ruling on this

Another common situation to be avoided is the double-hyphenated word. A word or compound word containing a hard hyphen may appear at the end of a line, to be broken and given a second, program-inserted hyphen. Making both sides of the hard hyphen nonbreaking text will force the program to break the expression at the hard hyphen. Double-hyphenation can also occur when you've added a nonbreaking hyphen to a text expression, forcing H&J program to find another place to break it. Again, specifying it as nonbreaking text will solve the problem.

The Complete Manual of Typography - James Felici

(Published 2003 (circa InDesign CS/CS2))

Again, CS2 can only apply the No Break on a per word basis.

CS3 can do a find change for this

And CS4 and later editions can apply this into the Paragraph Style.

Hope that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 6:29 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

another way you can do it is to add the words to the Dictionary and choose Hyphenate (is that in CS2?)

Edit>Spelling Dictionary

Insert

high-tempearature

Click the Hyphenate button and it looks like this

high-~tem~~~per~~~a~~~ture

Then remove the ~ from bewteen tem per a ture

And it will no longer hyphenate that word at those points for the word high-temperature

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 7:04 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

A quick glance through Chicago Manual of Style doesn't seem to cover this, at least not as being a cardinal sin. Their usual advice, and I think t would be pertinent here, is that it would be best to rewrite the sentence to move the compound word so it doeesn't need to be broken except at the hard hyphen rather than jerrymandering the spacing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 7:11 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

Believe me, I wish there was plenty of other typographical controls in Indesign, but I fear they are being neglected for pop, buzz and sparkle rather than what's really needed, just my opinion.

The computatational rules for H&Js are very complex and the order that they're applied is logical.

I'm not sure what adding another "rule" to this would cause issues in terms of programming.

Seems commonly accepted though to make the word "nonbreaking".

You can fill out a feature request here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

But seen as you're on CS2 you'd need to upgrade to the latest version IF it gets implemented (don't hold your breath)

But as I say, you can already get around this problem by upgrading to CS5 and apply the GREP style as I described.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 8:01 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

fiddleflute wrote:

[..]

My mistake for thinking that I might know more than a computer program or the people that designed it.

And you, obviously.

Most first-posters *are*, actually, totally oblivious of the problems associated with hyphenation. Typically, resulting in questions like "how can I prevent breaking this extremely long word and disregard the fact it obviously needs two lines" or "why is my French text all hyphenated wrong according to a proof-reader".

As you may have surmised from the other posters, adding the seemingly simple option of "do not hyphenate words that contain a discretionary hyphen" (which, despite your 25-yrs of experience, *is* something else than a 'hyphenated word' ...) is not without its drawbacks. For every "high-temperature" you offer, I can give you a dozen "auditorily-presented", "typically-stressed", "interaction-dominant", and other long word-long word compounds that I *would* prefer hyphenated at a spacing-friendly position, rather than forcing a long word onto a single line.

That said: I just tried Eugene's trick of adding this compound word to the User dictionary, and it seems it does work; but it would require you to manually add all of these compounds. Since your CS2 is getting very old real fast, you might want to think about upgrading; in CS4 and higher, I'd probably break out a GREP style and have No Break apply automatically to all compound words up to a certain length.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

fiddleflute wrote:

I would like to know if there is any way to prevent InDesign (CS2 in my case) from hyphenating one of a pair of words that are already hyphenated.

In other words, I would like to automatically prevent situations such as high-tem-perature, where the tem-perature is broken at the end of the line following the already hyphenated word pair.

Many thanks.

Have you tried a non-breaking hyphen? Search Google for terms like "InDesign non-breaking hyphen" without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:03 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

How does that help? The point isn't to prevent breaking at the hard hyphen (as far as I can tell), but to prevent ID form adding any OTHER hyphen to the word.

@ the OP, you didn't really make clear if you want to prevent breaking the first word in the compound as well. Eugene's examples don't address that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Would there be any way for a script to search the text for hyphenated words and them to the dictionary? Perhaps on a case-by-case basis?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

fiddleflute wrote:

How would GREP solve that problem?

Essentially the same thing, with a lookahead for the hyphen, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to fiddleflute

I believe it would be \w+-(?=\w) which is one or more word characters, followed by a hyphen and  a word character (I put the hyphen inside the lookahead to be sure it is able to break).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry, the edit didn't take on the GREP it should be \w+(?=-\w)

The hyphen goes after the + sign, NOT outside the parentheses.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Drat. That should be the hyphen goes after the = sign. I just can't type today.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points