Skip navigation
OnLineBinding
Currently Being Moderated

photo bounding box shows when printed

Jun 15, 2011 9:48 AM

I'm a new user to the programs and I've edited a photo in photoshop, took the background from around a moth, then placed it on a book cover.  When the cover is printed you can see the bounding box(shows darker than the background color) where the background used to be.  On screen you don't see any difference.  I can't figure out how to get the file not to show the background and whether it is a photoshop change or an InDesign change.  Can some one please help in how to make this change?  Thanks for helping out a newbie!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2011 9:31 PM   in reply to OnLineBinding

It sounds like the bounding box area is almost black and your background is black. The difference between what you see on screen and what prints can be as simple as rgb vs cmyk. Where as the rgb or monitor shows both to be black and cmyk or printer shows a shift in brightness between the two values.

If this sounds like whats happening a simple fix is to use the levels command, you will find three eye droppers the bottom one sets the black level, click on the dropper then onto the area that is suppose to be black. This will force that area or I should say values to be black.

In other words if you had three shades in an image, one thats white, one thats 50 % grey, and one thats black. Using the eye dropper and clicking on the grey shade would tell photoshop to treat anything in the image that is between 50% and 100% black as black and leave the rest of the image alone.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2011 7:17 PM   in reply to OnLineBinding

I agree with Silkrooster.

I would add a Layer Mask to the Layer with the moth. With a soft-edged Brush, paint in that Layer Mask, until you get near the pixels of the moth. With a nice, smooth graduation, you will very likely not see the difference.

If you do, then just create a Mask that is tight on the moth - same general technique, as above, but with more precise Masking. I would explore using the Pen Tool, and Paths, then convert that Path to a Selection with a bit of Feather.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points