Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Invalid Project File" when I try to open my work! HELP!

Jun 17, 2011 8:35 PM

When I try to open my .ncor project file (eithe with Encore 5 or 5.1), I get "Invalid Project File" pop-up box.

Why? What is wrong? There are only menus and buttons in the project!

All hard drive are connected. Using Windows 7 Pro (will switch to Mac very soon!!).

Never had a problem before. Until now.

Any suggestion???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2011 9:11 PM   in reply to TonyBdfx

What version did you make it in?  Encore is very forgiving regarding opening an earlier version in a later version, so I don't see why you are having this problem.

I would test your current functioning: create a small test project.  Save and close.  Can you reopen it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to TonyBdfx

Do you still have the project folder with the same name as your Encore project?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 8:51 AM   in reply to TonyBdfx

Welcome to the forum.

Is it safe to assume that you are created the Project on the PC, and are still using the PC?

Have you done any housekeeping, and perhaps deleting what appeared to be some empty folders in the Project's hierarchy? (That is what Jim is also asking). The folder structure is important, and must be maintained, or there will be issues.

Is your Project on an external HDD? If so, is the OS assigning the drive letter, or have you assigned the drive letter manually in the OS? Is that drive letter the same, as when the Project was created?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2011 10:03 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

In both CS4 and CS5 at least, a missing folder gets a "Cannot open project; the folder for this project cannot be found" message. Who knows what message happens if only certain elements have been moved, etc.

Do you get an error number or any additional information in the "Invalid project file" message?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 5:40 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stanely,

The error messages that you cite, are what I am used to, as well. However, as we all know, sometimes the error messags in Encore can leave a lot to be desired, and there have been instances where "wires" got crossed, and Encore received an error from the Sonic modules, or from the OS, but could not really act upon it - so it guessed at what could be the problem.

I have only seen the error message, that you mention once, when I Deleted some of the necessary folders by mistake. All it took was to create the necessary folders, though they were empty, as the originals had been, and all was good again. In all of my years with the program, that was but one of only two errors, that I have ever encountered in Encore, so I have to rely on reports from "the field," when it comes to errors in Encore.

The only "Invalid Project Flie" type error, that I can recall, was when users attempted to Open a Mac NCOR on a PC, or vice versa. Do not recall the exact syntax of those errors, as I have never seen them myself.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 7:47 PM   in reply to TonyBdfx

I wasn't clear re the answer to my question: Do you get an error number or any additional information in the "Invalid project file" message?

I understand about the general error also. But when you get the "Invalid Project File" message, anything else?  You might check any error logs and the windows event log.

Your new project is okay, right?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2011 10:26 PM   in reply to TonyBdfx

You mentioned about saving your projects on the external hard drive. Some times the external hard drive might cause some problems with Encore's communication with the drives. This is because encore tries to acquire some hardware before opening the project and if it can not acquire the hardware, it throws out some error.

Updating the driver software might help.

Thanks,

Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 8:24 AM   in reply to TonyBdfx

You know what. Adobe. You need to fix this bug. If not fix it, you need away for customers and your engineers know what what was corrupted in the project file. You can't run a business with a tool that let's you do all these hours of work and then decide arbitrarily not to work and become unrecoverable. You should be sued for this kind of stuff. Leaving this kind a problemt to a users forum is criminal. Here is the bug I submitted. Adobe GET INVOLVED.

******BUG******

Concise problem statement:

Encore fails to open due to "Invalid Project File."

Steps to reproduce bug:

1.Create a encore project with menus an multiple timelines where assets are references to CS5 Premiere and After Effects projects. Encore and assets project files are located on an external HDD connected using USB 2.0. Encore is installed to an internal SATA C: volume.

2. At this point, I'm  able to close and open the encore project.

3. Do a build that includes transcoding. Building to an DVD ISO image file.

4. Build completes, save Encore project and close  it.

5. Shutdown computer.

6. Power on computer, try to open Encore project.

Results:

Open of Encore project fails: "Invalid Project FIle." Weeks of work is lost.

Expected results:

Open needs to succeed or Encore needs to indicates specifically what is invalid. And, there needs to be a way to recover the project. There are no logged events or error messages to indicate the root cause of the problem, that is, what makes the project file invalid. The Internet it full of Encore "Invalid Project File" pleas for help. Please fix this issue. It's a deal breaker.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

BTW, Mr Hunt. Changing drive letters on external disks should never result in project open failure due to "Invalid Project File" and here's why. Project references to project data files should only use relative path. If the Encore doesn't do that, it's a code defect. This isn't a problem anyway, simple deductive reasoning indicates the problem is a corrupt project file - not something external to it.  Assets referenced by a project file simply become offline when the project is opened. The project file still needs to open. This is an out and out a stupid Adobe Encore defect and they need to get involved and fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2011 9:21 AM   in reply to BoiseBaked

My specifics: Window 7 Pro 64bit. Encore version: 5.0.0.508. I use MacDrive 9.0 to access a formatted Mac disk as an external HDD (not Western Digital, I've long since given up on them) connected by USB 2.0. It's not MacDrive 9.0 since the problem occurred on MacDrive 8.0 as well. I might be related to USB connectivity. I'm checking that out now. The problem started to happen after I upgraded to CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to BoiseBaked

Just experienced this on CS6.

Identical experience to BoiseBaked

Using Win 7 64bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to TonyBdfx

What tha? Today is the first time I've Heard Of, Seen, or Recieved this error... ever!

- This project started on my Mac but something is awry with my Adobe/Mac setup so I did a minimal Adobe installation to my Win7 64bit PC laptop. (Pr CC, Pr CS6, & En CS6)

I just finished Building & Transcoding my project in En CS6 on my  laptop.

I closed En and went to lunch. When I tried opening my project an hour later, I recieved the error.

Trying to move project folders into a new En project structure prompted the same error.

Rebuild: Media on External Harddrive

1. New En projects started on Desktop (1 for DVD - 1 for Blu ray)

2. Import Ps Menu... restarted En... OK

3. Import Audios (.wav)... restarted En... OK

4. Import Videos (.m2v)... "Indexing"... "Pending"... restarted En... OK

5. Create New Timelines from Media... "Pending"... restarted En... OK

6. Add Text to Menu... restarted En... OK

7. Created Buttons from Text... restarted En... OK

8. Linked Buttons to Timelines... restarted En... OK

9. Routed DVD Operations... restarted En... OK

10. Building DVD... Fingers Crossed!

* I have lost way too many hours of work due to various Adobe related issues over the last couple of weeks.

DVD Authored Successful!

(only difference was that I did NOT store the project on the external HD with the media... external HD the problem?)

Now, on the the Blu ray.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to [r]Evolution

Are you running Encore "as administrator" (just just from an account that has adminstrative rights)?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points