Skip navigation
Saturn50
Currently Being Moderated

Updates keep repeating

Jun 22, 2011 2:42 AM

Every time I start my computer for nearly a week I get a request to update Adobe Reader.  It seems to be the same update every time.  I run it and it appears to install correctly and gives no error messages.  How can i stop these repeated messages?

I have Windows 7 x64, and help says Adobe Reader v10.1.0. (although it says Adobe Reader X in the heading).

On a separate point why do Adobe insist on putting a shortcut on my desktop?  I do not want one which is why I deleted it initially so for Adobe to keep putting it back every time there is an update is pretty stupid - why can'y they just detect it is not there any more and do nothing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 6:43 AM   in reply to Saturn50

There is probably something not updating in your Windows registry when you do the automatic update and that is why it keeps repeating.

Uninstall Reader using Programs and Features in your Control Panel.

Then download the installer from this site and install it manually.

The reason the installer will put a shortcut on your desktop is because the installer is "hard coded" to do that. it has absolutely nothing to do with whether you want one or not. There is nothing in the installer that can read anyone's mind. It does what the code says to do, and that is create a desktop shortcut. It's up to you todelete it if you don't want it. Personally I don't ever have ANY shortcuts on my desktop, and anytime I update anything, I have to go back and clean up all the shortcuts that install. That's my choice so it's my responsibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 7:04 AM   in reply to Saturn50

Hi,

Can you please post the contents of the file AdobeARM.log present at %temp% location on your system. This may help in giving an idea as to why you are getting multiple updates even though you are at the latest version.

Also, as far as the Desktop Shortcut being created everytime an update is installed on your system; this is happening because the shortcut was included in your initial setup and thuis every update will try to restore that as well.

1. You can try and install Reader (10 or 10.1 as you chose) by using the command:

msiexec /i AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi DISABLEDESKTOPSHORTCUT=1

2. You can slso try removing the shortcut via the Adobe Customization Wizard X and use the same to remove the shortcut.

Both of the above steps will ensure that the update will not recreate the shortcut on your desktop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 7:31 AM   in reply to Saturn50

Hi,

Thanks for posting the log as requested.

From the log I was able to make out that the initial update that was carried out on your system was for Adobe Reader which updated your Reader from version 10.0.1 to the latest version 10.1.0.

Also, the second update (which took place on 22-06-2011) was for Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.0.3 which is also installed on your system. Hence, you are seeing the updater run again. To find the product for which you are seeing the update notification, click on the Adobe ARM icon which pops up in the system tray and check the title bar of the window which is displayed. It will either be Adobe Reader Updater or Adobe Acrobat Updater depending on the product for which the updater is running.

The updater will not prompt you again to update once you have updated both Adobe Acrobat and Reader to version 10.1.0.

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to Saturn50

Also, it is not clear from the log that you have actually installed the update for Adobe Acrobat 10.0.3 to update it to Adobe Acrobat 10.1.0. You can check the version for Adobe Acrobat Pro by launching Acrobat and clicking on Help > About Adobe Acrobat Professional.

If the version's 10.1.0 you should not receive any more update notifications.

Ankit

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points