Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Newby: Import all my photos. Structure?

Jun 26, 2011 8:26 AM

Hi all and thank you for your help.

I have downloaded LR this past Wednesday and have learned a lot since.

I have about 3 000 pictures, ranging from family outings, family pictures, wildlife, sports and a a lot of pictures as assignments for our camera club. These I have neatly structered under the "Pictures" library of my PC with clearly marked folders. I want to import all of these to LR. I understand that LR works with Libraries.

Is it better to have only 1 library for all my pictures? (This is what I want. Some pictures my overlap between family outings and wildlife.)

What is you suggestion on how to import all my pictures and still retain some sort of order/structure?

Thank you so long.

Deon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to DeonH

Lightroom works with Catalogs. Maybe that's what you mean by "Libraries".

It is best to have one catalog, unless you have completely non-overlapping photo subject matter (like personal and work)

The importing into Lightroom, if you choose the "Add" option on import, will maintain your folder structure. My advice is to begin using Lightroom tools, such as keywords, captions, titles and other metadata, for additional organizing. While you don't want to abandon your existing folder structure, you want to do all future organizing using Lightroom tools, and then to go back and apply keywords, captions, titles to your existing photos as well. Do not continue to be a person who uses folder names and locations as their only organizing tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2011 1:19 PM   in reply to DeonH

Only you can decide if you need a "People" keyword. I used it as a "category" rather than a keyword; which means that it is really a keyword that doesn't get exported, it has many keywords in a hierarchy underneath it, such as

People

Miller Family

Paige

Darcy

Logan

Lindsey Family

Alyssa

etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to DeonH

A category is simply a keyword at the top of the hierarchy. Just create a keyword named "People", and then put whatever keywords you want underneath it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to DeonH

Question: Are the tags showing up correctly under "Keyword tags" since 2003 is a keyword under a category called "Year", Kleuterskoolkonsert is 'n ekyword under Category called "Events" and Maarten is a name under a category called "People".

Looks good to me

Under the "Keyword Tags" it does not seem that the different categories are listed. Are they supposed to be listed.

They will not appear under "Keyword Tags". In this area, only the keywords, for the selected photo(s) will appear. If you want to see the higher level keywords and categories, choose "Keywords and Containing Keywords" from the dropdown menu.

Advice ... if your photos come from a digital camera, there is no point in creating tags for different years. The filter bar will find photos taken in any given year, even if you have never created a tag for the year. If your photos come from other sources (a scanner, for example), then tags by year could be a good approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2011 11:03 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Dj, thank you for the advice. I was not sure if LR will capture the date from the actual photo.

I just need to make sure about something for myself ...

In the keywords list for a specific photo, there is nothing specific, no indicators to tell the difference between a Category and a keyword in that category?

I have some 20 000 photos to tag and don't want to mess it up from start.

Thank you once again.

Deon

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 5:09 AM   in reply to deonholtz

Category is a word that has no meaning in Lightroom. It exists only in your (or my) mind.

The keyword People is simply a keyword to Lightroom. If, in your mind it is a category, you can ask Lightroom to treat it differently than other keywords, by right-clicking on the keyword People, select Edit, then uncheck "Include on Export". This way, if you share your keywords when you export your file, then the exported photo will (or will not) contain the keyword People, depending on your choice. Simlarly, you can make this choice for all keywords.

I have some 20 000 photos to tag and don't want to mess it up from start.

Certainly, this is an excellent philosophy, and you are to be commended for this. Nevertheless, if you are like me, you will not see all future uses of your keywords, and at some time in the future you may want to make adjustments to your keyword hierarchy. All of this is easy to do in Lightroom, you are not locked into the choices you make today. So, although you have a good philosphy, my advice also is to not get stressed out over making this perfect the first time around.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2011 6:04 AM   in reply to dj_paige

DJ, thank you once again.

I will take your advice and not get to stressed out. I can see you talk from experience.

Beste wishes.

Deon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points