Skip navigation
jghammell
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 sRGB Export

Jun 29, 2011 6:49 AM

I have a workmate who supplies JPEGs from Lightroom 3, and has them set to export with the sRGB profile, (I have checked his settings) which is fine as we use them to create PDF files for online use. However, even though they are exported as sRGB they don't seem to have that information in the actual file - the Windows filer which reports the colour space shows nothing at all for that entry - yet if I load this fle into Photoshop and save it as sRGB from there it does have the sRGB profile listed in the filer information.

The problem is there is a lot of files, and so it would be better if this information was there already, as once in Acrobat these Lightroom 3 JPEG files become dull and muted. (The PDFs created are sRGB colour space and other files from other packages show up correctly.)

Is there something we can do to ensure that the sRGB export is recognised?

Many thanks,

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to jghammell

I can confirm that when I export an sRGB jpeg from LR (3.4.1) it definitely contains an embedded sRGB profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Is Minimize Metadata also enabled on your colleague's Export, to remove camera-details and other things, where this perhaps also removes the colorspace information, although I'm not sure because I don't use this option.

If you feel comfortable doing so, you might attach one of the JPGs in question to a forum message on this thread, or if they are too large, upload it to www.YouSendIt.com and post the download link, here, so others can look at the JPG to see if they agree it doesn't contain a color profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 7:50 AM   in reply to jghammell

'Minmize Metadata' in Export dialouge does NOT remove the color profile.

jghammell said:  the Windows filer which reports the colour space shows nothing at all for that entry - yet if I load this fle into Photoshop and save it as sRGB from there it does have the sRGB profile listed in the filer information.

What do you mean by 'Windows filer' and specifically where in this 'Windows filer' are you not seeing sRGB profile for these JPEG image files.

What does Phototshop show for the embedded profile when you first open them and what do you mean by, "I load this fle into Photoshop and save it as sRGB?" You must "assign" profiles" in Photoshop by going to Edit>Assign Profile, before saving them.  If the file already has a profile, Photoshop will prompt you with "Changing the document profile can affect the appearance, etc." Photoshop is normally setup to prompt you when opening a file without an assigned profile and asks what you wantt to do - Assign one, Leave as is!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 11:00 PM   in reply to trshaner

The sRGB profile is in the file, and visible in Bridge and Photoshop or even when opening the JPG in a text editor like WordPad and searching for sRGB. 

It is just not visible to Windows Explorer / JPG-file / right-click / Properties / Details / Color Representation.  I think it's been this way for years, already. 

I'm guessing the OP wants LR's color-profile information be exported in the same way that Photoshop does, so Windows can show it in the file properties.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 11:56 PM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

I'm guessing the OP wants LR's color-profile information be exported in the same way that Photoshop does, so Windows can show it in the file properties.

Nope, I believe the issue is that exported files from LR look dull and flat in his PDF's. Sounds a lot like the jpegs aren't sRGB after all.

OP, if you can post one here for us to check that would be most useful, you can also PM one of us through our profile if you wish.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 12:16 AM   in reply to jghammell

Thanks..........

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 1:10 AM   in reply to jghammell

That is strange!! So no colour space is seen from Lightroom???

Most interested to see a file and it would be useful to see a screen shot of the export settings:

Picture 1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2011 6:51 AM   in reply to jghammell

I see the same difference in Properties on my Windows 7 for between PS and LR exports for the last few years; however, the colorspace is in the file.  Bridge shows the sRGB colorspace in both PS and LR files.  If it wasn't then opening the LR file is PS and immediately resaving (w/o assigning a colorspace) wouldn't fix the issue.

The fact Acrobat and InDesign are having problems isn't an indication that it's not in the file just that it's encoded differently. 

I'm wondering if the two Adobe products in question have given colorspace rendering over to the GPU and OpenGL cannot read the colorspace information and perhaps viewing the PDF on another system wouldn't have the issue.

Can the OP upload a PDF that demonstrates the issue, with a side-by-side of one LR and on PS version of the same image where the LR image looks dull and the PS image doesn't?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to jghammell

If you can post or email one of the files I can try it in Acrobat Pro 9 and InDesign CS5. Just give details as to how you are using the file to create the ID and PDF documents.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 3:49 PM   in reply to jghammell

Using EXIF Tool 8.09 to examine the headers of each file, the following tags refer to sRGB in each file:

LIGHTROOM:

Device Model                    : sRGB

Profile Description             : sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Device Model Desc               : IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB

PHOTOSHOP:

Color Space                     : sRGB

ICC Profile Name                : sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Device Model                    : sRGB

Profile Description             : sRGB IEC61966-2.1     

I would guess that Windows and InDesign are looking for the Color Space and/or ICC Profile Name tags and LR only has the Profile Description tag which Photoshop and Bridge recognize. I see the same three items in recent LR exported files on my computer.

I think I remember an Adobe insider answer a question about XMP-packet having information but EXIF not, that some EXIF tags are not filled in by LR because EXIF is considered old or even obsolete and this may be tripping up programs that have relied on only EXIF information rather than newer things.

Here is the EXIFTool info in an ACR-saved JPG from 2008 which Windows does see the sRGB profile of, suggesting it is at least the Color Space tag that Windows looks for:

Color Space                     : sRGB

Interoperability Index          : R98 - DCF basic file (sRGB)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 5:18 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Much of EXIF is ad hoc, or applies only to one file format or the other. The key is knowing if these EXIF fields are part of any reasonable standard, and if they apply to JPEGs, and if those fields are intended to be interpreted by more than a few applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 5:34 PM   in reply to jghammell

I imported the two files into Lightroom and compared them in Photoshop. The LR exported version is less bright and the PS saved version has a yellow tint, and they look exactly like this in LR or PS. When "placed" into an InDesign document the two images look exactly as they do in PS or LR. Ditto for a PDF docuement.

I do not experience the changes described in OPs original post using Acrobat Pro 9 and InDesign CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:34 PM   in reply to jghammell

These two files are different in their actual data as tsraner noticed. They are both correctly sRGB and acrobat/indesign/etc. all correctly see that (you can check in indesign by right/control clicking on the image and selecting Graphics->Image color settings). Don't trust "windows filer" for anything. It appears there was something like an auto-levels done in the Photoshop one as the histogram is shifted completely to higher brightness. This is definitely NOT just a straight open and resave.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 10:24 AM   in reply to jghammell

Let me assure you that lightroom does the right thing and writes correct sRGB files. It also does the color space conversion correct. Indesign and every other color managed application recognizes them correctly. What you are describing actually sounds like a very typical sign of a bad monitor profile. Lightroom is sensitive to those while other Adobe apps just ignore them completely. This can result in apparent color differences. If your monitor profile is good, you will NOT see any difference between Lightroom and other Adobe apps. So we need to know how you are calibrating those displays.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 11:02 AM   in reply to jghammell

Here are my color settings synchronzied with Adobe Bridge for all CS5 apps, and Acrobat 9 Pro color management settings. With these settings I see no change in apearance for either JPEG file when placed inside an InDesign CS5 or Acrobat 9 Pro PDF document. Obviously something's different with the color settings you are using.

PS_CS5_ColorSet.jpg

Acrobat9_ColorSet.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 11:14 AM   in reply to jghammell

This is free, easy, and much better than no calibration at all: http://www.calibrize.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 11:17 AM   in reply to jghammell

You can't afford to calibrate but you can afford CS licenses? A calibrator

is a fraction of the cost (even academic) of those licenses. But no fear,

what you should do is go in the display properties on those windows machines

and go in the color management tab and delete any profile that is associated

with the monitor. This should fix the immediate problem. You won't get

correct color but you will no longer see any difference between Lightroom

and other programs. If you don't calibrate this is probably preferable. You

should also make sure to manually calibrate the display gamma (or contrast)

using one of the gamma charts here

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart your monitors

should be gamma 2.2.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 12:24 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

In addition to the sites given, this is a good site for checking how well you have "calibrated" your monitor:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php

Pay particular attention to the 'Contrast,' 'Black Level' and 'White Saturation' tests. Without a hardware calibrator device it will be very difficult to establish the proper luminance level and color temperature, such as 100cd/m2 and 6,500 K. The Gamma setup link provided and these three tests will get you closer. For color temperature setting you can use the 'Gradient Banding' image at the above link. When color temperature is set close to the 5,500K - 6,500K, there should be a slightly "yellowish-brown" cast in the lighter areas of the gradient. It should also be uniform in color, not varying, and with no shades of red, green or blue. Even with a "trained color eye" you have a difficult time setting proper luminance level and color temperature tracking, because most monitors aren't uniform across their luminance output range (0% to 100%). A hardware calibrator can correct these non-uniformities and it helps you adjust your monitor's settings for the best results.

This of course doesn't eliminate the possibility that one or more of your Creative Suite and Acrobat color settings is contributing to the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points