Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wacom Tablet pan/scrolling in timeline

Jun 30, 2011 2:11 AM

Hi

I have a Wacom Intros 4 tablet and I have one of the button on the stylus as a pan/scroll function.

That function is very smooth when I'm using in to scroll through my timelines in FCP and Avid but in Premiere Pro it is very unresponsive and mostly pulls in the opposite direction. I've download the latest driver for Wacom but still the same result.

Has anyone else had this problem or found a solution? 

Thanks, Andy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2011 2:30 AM   in reply to Sneaks8

I discovered the exact same problem using my Bamboo touch. Using the pen with a button set to "Pan/Scroll..." function, with Premiere the scrolling went all jittery in the timeline. I discovered though that if you don't try to pull the pen left/right but instead up/down, this triggers the horizontal scrolling. Ergo there is no vertical scroll function at all, and only a horizontal one when you move up and down.

I have only a vague idea why this could be: when you would use a mouse with scroll wheel, I guess it is easier if scrolling up/dwn causes a horizontal scroll in the timeline window. And so if they coincidentally did rather bad programming on this bit, it would mean any pan/scroll tool would have to follow that functionality. If you use a trackpad you can see how scrolling left/right and up/down have the same effect.

Btw Adobe: can you fix this? I find it REALLY annoying there is no vertical scrolling!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2011 7:38 PM   in reply to Sneaks8

I have posted several reports of this .. to Adobe and Wacom.

It's doesn't happen using a standard USB mouse .. right?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 6:33 PM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

I'm seeing the same issue here with the Apple Magic Trackpad in CS5.5.

Even just an option in the Preferences to enable both vertical and horizontal scrolling in panels such as the timeline and project files (instead of making it situational, seemingly based on a mouse's scrollwheel) would be a huge improvement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 12:05 AM   in reply to Cliff Spence

Another thought was the Bluetooth connection .. interference or just non-consistent communication might be the culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2011 12:30 AM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

I doubt it, though.  It functions beautifully everywhere else - a surprisingly accurate and useful device - and isn't jumpy at all unless you're trying horizontal movement on the timeline, which is just a byproduct of the natural slight vertical movements that it doesn't know how to handle.

Also odd that this does seem to function correctly in the media browser, but not the project media panel or timeline.  It feels like an artificial limitation imposed by developers thinking only inside of the scrollwheel mouse box.

I'll submit a bug report, too, and hope for some relief next update.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 11:43 AM   in reply to Sneaks8

Same problem using Genius Mouse Pen. This problem has been dragged since CS2... Horizontal movements in the timeline upper bar appears becomes crazy...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Sneaks8

The same problem here. However, like somebody mentioned scrolling up and down helps. Also, What I did, I set up the scroll speed to the minimum. That gives you much more control in Premiere Pro, but when you go to web to check something, better have mouse near your tablet, cause scrolling web on minimum is freakin' slow. A good solution for that is to have turned on the touch option and scroll with 2 fingers. The pen scroll and the tuch scroll can have separate speeds.

BTW. ADOBE FOR GOD'S SAKE! FIX IT PLEASE. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I'm angry again... all because of you Adobe!

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 6.57.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-12-03 at 7.03.11 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Krioni

FIX IT PLEASE. IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Already did that...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Krioni

Anybody knows if in CS6 behavior of Premire Pro with a tablet is better? Scrolling and stuff? Thx

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points