Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

NVIDIA Quadro 2000 vs. 4000 or 5000: Is the choice in video card proportional to the motherboard?

Jul 2, 2011 3:48 AM

Perhaps the question should have been: will the full functionality of the Quadro 4000, or that of the new Quadro 5000, be facilitated by the system which i am considering to build (see below)?

Noting the maximum power of a video card, how does one choose a video card to be consistent with the rest of their system, to facilitate that maximum?

http://www3.pny.com/MarketingPromotions/BFP_CS5.aspx?Category_ID=445

The system that I am planning is intended for making my art work, which includes video and image editing (photoshop, illustrator and fireworks sometimes,) and flash interactive programming and animation; so i will buy the Classic Collection suite to install on this new system.

Proposed build in progress:
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K

Motherboard - Asrock's Z68 Extreme4 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extreme4&cat=Specifi cations)

Disks: 3 disk setup, NO RAID initially. See how that goes and RAID if necessary:
120Gb ssd for OS & Programs, which brand?
Projects disk - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM, 64 MB, SATA III
or WD WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200rpm 64MB Buffer S-ATAIII HDD for Projects, Media and output
Output and Storage disk - Caviar Green 3T. (see if the media cache needs to be 7200rpm)
CPU Cooler - Noctua or CoolerMaster ?
Tower -  NZXTH2 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/41942-nz xt-h2-silent-mid-tower-case-video-review.html)
alternatively - Antec.
PSU - Gold Label 860W

Add a Firewire400 PCI card  (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HJ24SI/ref=asc_df_B002HJ24SI1607349?smid= ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-396-34-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeAS IN=B002HJ24SI)
SD card slot if not onboard
net device - add wireless
dvd burner - which?
bluetooth needed
Windows 7 Pro English 64 bit

All comments welcomed.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2011 3:54 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

Lose the green disk and get a 7200 RPM model instead.

Get a GTX 560+ instead of a Quadro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 12:03 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

People often opt for mid size cases, without realizing the drawbacks. I always suggest big tower cases for a number of reasons:

1. They are placed under your desk, so what does it matter if it is bigger?

2. Installation is easier. More room and longer expansion cards can be installed.

3. Better cable management and a less crowded tower.

4. Better air flow and temperatures inside.

5. More expansion room for the future.

6. More choices in CPU coolers because of the space.

Any specific reason you are looking at the 590? It is a dual GPU card and Adobe only supports one GPU, so effectively it will be used at 50% of its capacity and then be slower than a 580. I would prefer the 580 with 3 GB VRAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 8:10 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort
    i am ashamed to admit, is because i thought size matters...

That is a question for your neighbor's wife.

The CoolerMaster HAF932 is a popular choice here, although I personally like Lian Li very much. I have the PC-A77B chassis, with one modification, a side fan of 25 cm diameter added for additional cooling, but then I have 17 disks and 2 BR burners internally.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 6:01 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

All GeForce cards are limited to 8 bpc, all  (modern) Quadro cards support 10 bpc, hence the displayport connector. But that is only beneficial if your monitor also supports 10 bpc, like the HP Dreamcolor. Only the lucky few have such monitors, due to their price (€ 2K+).

For using 10 bpc material you also need a suitable camera that records in 4:2:2 and has HD-SDI. So that also means a HD-SDI card for ingest. If you don't have those (the monitor, the camera and the ingest card), the question becomes irrelevant.

The 560 Ti is a great choice and is noticeably cooler than a 460. PS, ID and IL will not put such a card to the test. The only thing to really put it to a test is PR when Red 4K material is used. For all non-PR applications it is more than enough. Your reference to the notebook and it dragging its feet is probably caused by two things, slow disk setup as the major reason and possibly lack of memory if you use large images in pixel dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2011 10:31 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard
    For using 10 bpc material you also need a suitable camera that records in 4:2:2 and has HD-SDI.

Or a Panasonic that records AVC-Intra to P2 cards.  AVC-I is 10 bit 4:2:2, and Panny has a camera coming out soon for about $6,000 that records AVC-I.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 3:30 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

For around € 65 extra, yes I would get that disk and your disk setup looks good.

I'm curious why WD goes for around € 65 where a Samsung goes for € 39?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2011 7:50 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

What Harm was suggesting is that the 1TB WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX is not worth the €26 price premium over the 1TB Samsung F3 HD103SJ drive. I have personally tested both of those drives, and found that the average sequential transfer speed of the Caviar Black is a bit slower (103 MB/s) than that of the Samsung F3 (114 MB/s). However, the Black does have a faster random access time (12.4 ms) than the F3 (13.8 ms).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2011 1:03 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

You can use the 'hack' to make the 560 work. In terms of performance there is not much difference between the 560 and the 580.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 3:11 AM   in reply to minimalcomfort

Both the 570 and the 580 are on the supported list and therefore do not require the 'hack'. In my case, using a GTX 480, I need to use the hack, because it is not supported.

All the cards you mention are good ones.Other good brands are Palit, Zotac, Asus, Point-of-View, etc. The differences between these brands are very minor. The choice of one over the other should be based on price/warranty/features, where features usually boil down to clock speed and amount of memory.

I suggest you have a look at our latest results page, because it allows you to sort on (nearly) all the fields in the database by simply clicking on a column header, so you may find the info you want more quickly. http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

The new database does not contain all the entries, since the new setup can only be transferred from data submitted after January 29. All the info from before that time would require new submissions. Nevertheless with around 340 entries is still is a sizable source of intelligence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points