Skip navigation
Thunder_man1234
Currently Being Moderated

How to hide a face or other details in clip

Jul 2, 2011 8:52 AM

I am totally new to video editing and have a project that involves bait property for crime prevention. I need to hide the faces of suspects in video clips and some text information from the surviellance cameras.

Could anyone point me to instructions on how to do this? What is the industry term for this function. (I have the full Adobe CS5.5 software)

http://www.operationhandsoff.com/en/bait_video.php

This is an example of what I am looking for. I use Lynda.com for some training and would appreciate suggestions on terms to look up.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2011 9:12 AM   in reply to Thunder_man1234

Mosaic and blur in combination with mattes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:53 AM   in reply to Thunder_man1234

I cannot think of an "industry term" for what you want, but in general, it's hiding identity, or obscuring license plates, etc.

As Harm mentions, the use of Mosaic and/or Blur, limited to just the area that you wish to affect by Track Matte Keying, will get you exactly what you want. Once you decide on how much to obscure the faces, you will then Keyframe the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position (and maybe some Motion>Scale) on the Track Matte.

In general, one would place their footage onto Video Track 1, Duplicate that onto VT 2, where the Blur, Mosaic, or similar, or a combo of them, Effect(s) would be added. Then, one would create a Track Matte (could be an elipse in Titler, or more intricate Matte in PS), locating that onto VT 3, and then apply Track Matte Keying to that Duplicate Clip in VT2, linking it to the Track Matte in VT3. As the subject moves, one would animate the Track Matte to follow.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:58 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here's a quck TUTORIAL on using Track Matte Keying, from CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 10:55 AM   in reply to Thunder_man1234

Good luck, and hope that it translates perfectly for you.

When it comes to animating the Track Matte, the more linear the movement of your subject, the easier it will be. If the subject's movement becomes non-linear, then you just need to add more Keyframes to track the subject's face.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 11:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Though you can do this with Premiere Pro, it's much easier (and gives much better results) if you use After Effects.

Here are three videos that show three different but related approaches in After Effects for obscuring faces and logos. (One is actually about color correction, but you could just as easily apply a Mosaic or blur effect and use this technique for obscuration.)

using motion tracking and basic rotoscoping

using Roto Brush and the Mosaic effect

using motion tracking and a feathered blur

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2011 9:57 PM   in reply to RDA972

RDA972,

I recommend against that After Effects one that you pointed to.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well, I guess you know better Todd, so I defer to you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points