Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy and paste effects to other clips

Jul 2, 2011 7:34 PM

Well I've exported my sequence from Premiere and am slowly trying to work with the audio in Audition without pulling my hair out.  The biggest problem I have is the lack of ability to copy effects applied to one clip and paste over other multiple clips.  I figured if this was possible in Premiere it should e in Audition, but sadly it is not.  The best I could do is save a preset...is that the only option?  And can I apply a saved preset to multiple clips?    Most of all I like to run normalize and reverb effects to several clips at a time, but geez not being able to do this makes me just want to do it all in premiere and only edit a clip in Audition one at a time if absolutely needed.    Seems like Audition has some features it could really use before it is efficient for production work.  In Protools I can use alt+shift drag to copy to other clips.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2011 11:48 PM   in reply to Richard Crook

Not sure if this helps but you don't have to save your clip fx as a preset - you can just select all the fx in the clip fx rack and select copy (or ctrl-C) and then select another clip's fx rack and select paste (or ctrl-v).

While this only works one clip at a time maybe when group clips comes in this might be a feature?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 3, 2011 5:20 AM   in reply to Richard Crook

I put an alternative solution to your problem to the developers some weeks ago, and they are apparently interested. But absolutely no promises are made at this point as to whether it's practical, obviously. And you won't get to see it until the next release, even if it is. But ultimately, if implemented it would do exactly what you want, with some interesting extra options in terms of what you could do with the effects...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 6:16 AM   in reply to Richard Crook

My mistake - hadn't noticed the clip being copied - too focused on the fx

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2011 10:21 PM   in reply to Richard Crook

Depending on the effects you wish to use, another work round might be to assign all the clips you want to process with the same effect (a reverb for example) to a Bus then apply the effect to the Bus which will put the 'verb (or whatever) on all of them at the same time.

Not exactly what you're after, I know, but this way of working makes sense to anyone used to working with physical sound mixers rather than DAWs and NLEs.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to Richard Crook

The easiest way is to open each effects processor (like eq) and SAVE the custom setting as a unique named PRESET.  Then in any future tracks you may simply call up your custom named presets.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 8, 2013 2:02 AM   in reply to Imarkem2

And what exactly is the point of replying to a year-and-a-half old thread without even reading the first post in it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

sorry I will refrain from the forurms... just was trying to be helpful. 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 8, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Imarkem2

Imarkem2 wrote:

sorry I will refrain from the forurms... just was trying to be helpful. 

No you don't have to do that - you just have to use a little intelligence about posting. Look at the dates on a thread first - and also, make sure you've read it thoroughly. And if you have anything different or useful to add, do it in the context of what's already there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 4:14 AM   in reply to Richard Crook

CS6 Audition has a batch process window, look under "Window" to select it. Select the clips you want to batch process and move them to the window.

You can run any effect/action that is saved under "favorites" across all the clips in the window

Under the "favorites" menu option, you can record your own custom action. 

I wanted to do noise reduction and 30+ clips recorded in the same room, so I recorded a favorite that did noise reduction based on the room's noise sample. It worked a treat.

And please, @StevegG, don't tear me a new one if this isn't a perfect solution. I'm pretty sure nobody else has posted a response so far like mine.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 19, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to mdotslash

mdotslash wrote:

And please, @StevegG, don't tear me a new one if this isn't a perfect solution. I'm pretty sure nobody else has posted a response so far like mine.

No they haven't - and it's an acceptable solution, and at least you read the thread.

The only problem is that the OP hasn't been back here since posting the original query...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to Richard Crook

Hi,  I am fighting with the same thing the OP struggled with and I appreciate ANY ideas even when late posts.  I read alot of forums trying to figure out the Adobe products for my needs.  The point is that even if an OP hasn't been back on a forum doesn't mean someone else can't use helpful information.  By the time I start searching the forums I am desperate for ANYTHING that might get me close!!  My thanks to all posters with ideas!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to karenCsprite

What's the effect chain? Can you add the fx as a favorite and batch process them like I suggested

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to mdotslash

Kind of amazed myself, that the only way to migrate one set of effects to another clip/sequence is to create a preset and then re-apply it. Not quite the standard Adobe workflow.

Adding it as a feature request here https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform. I recommend everyone else do the same and let's see if we can get this sorted out.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to Stephen Barrante

So, I just stumbled upon this post because I was trying to figure out how to copy paste effects in multi-track mode and discovered there wasn't really an answer.

But, I did just discover, the same way you can select and change rack order of the specific effects in one track, you can actually select the effect and drag it to another track, effectively duplicating it. (But it appears that you can only move/duplicate one effect at a time to another track)

Not sure if that helps everyone here, but it did the trick for what I was looking to accomplish pretty nicely.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 6, 2013 12:27 AM   in reply to JQizzle

JQizzle your solution is a good workaround thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points